From: Karol Krizka <kkrizka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: alsa mixer question
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 17:07:25
1 On Sunday 06 November 2005 07:30, Duncan wrote:
2 > Hemmann, Volker Armin posted
3 > <200511060449.41167.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>, excerpted
4 >
5 > below, on Sun, 06 Nov 2005 04:49:41 +0100:
6 > > On Saturday 05 November 2005 19:14, Dmitri Pogosyan wrote:
7 > >> As people said your choices are
8 > >>
9 > >> 1) Use sound card with hardware mixing
10 > >> 2) Run sound mixing daemon like esound or arts
11 > >> 3) Set up dmix in alsa. I also heard that alsa 1.10 is supposed to
12 > >> come with replacement for dmix ?
13 > >
14 > > no, but since a recent version came out, you do not need to setup up
15 > > dmix. It should just work out of the box.
16 >
17 > Well... except with stuff that insists on using exclusive mode access.
18 > arts is one such "stuff", one of the big reasons folks have such
19 > difficulty with it. Use it, and everything else has to play thru arts, or
20 > not play at all, when arts is active, even with hardware mixing or dmix.
21 >
22 I agree with you. Arts sucks and I can't wait when they get rid of it in
23 KDE4 :) I once managed to get it to play nice with dmix, but then I switched
24 to GNOME and now back in kde and can't get it working. I don't want to get
25 rid of it since it's quite a lot of work getting all kde things working with
26 alsa without arts and not worth the trouble. There is one useful aspect of
27 arts that makes it not 100% bad, you can suspend it. When I go play a game
28 that needs acess to /dev/dsp I just open the Arts Control Tool from the menu,
29 click status and suspend it. Also it suspends automaticly every 60 seconds
30 (configurable in kcontrol) or it might be possible to make a script for
31 launching the game that suspends arts then launches. This is way less working
32 than going opening cmd line, typing killall artsd then after game ends
33 starting it again.
34
35 > At least, that's been my experience, and the arts kcontrol applet
36 > (kcmshell arts, or just find it in kcontrol) specifically mentions it DOES
37 > use exclusive mode, and that other things won't be able to use sound when
38 > it's active.
39 >
40 > Other sound daemons may or may not be equally "selfish".
41 >
42 > --
43 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
44 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
45 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
46 > http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
49 Karol Krizka