From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: alsa mixer question
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 15:34:09
Hemmann, Volker Armin posted
<200511060449.41167.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>, excerpted
below,  on Sun, 06 Nov 2005 04:49:41 +0100:

> On Saturday 05 November 2005 19:14, Dmitri Pogosyan wrote: >> As people said your choices are >> >> 1) Use sound card with hardware mixing >> 2) Run sound mixing daemon like esound or arts >> 3) Set up dmix in alsa. I also heard that alsa 1.10 is supposed to >> come with replacement for dmix ? >> > > no, but since a recent version came out, you do not need to setup up dmix. It > should just work out of the box.
Well... except with stuff that insists on using exclusive mode access. arts is one such "stuff", one of the big reasons folks have such difficulty with it. Use it, and everything else has to play thru arts, or not play at all, when arts is active, even with hardware mixing or dmix. At least, that's been my experience, and the arts kcontrol applet (kcmshell arts, or just find it in kcontrol) specifically mentions it DOES use exclusive mode, and that other things won't be able to use sound when it's active. Other sound daemons may or may not be equally "selfish". -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list