From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: eselect problems
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 15:32:00
1 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
2 d257c3560811251519w7f8a0734jc27c23e2bf06404e@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Tue, 25 Nov 2008 23:19:40 +0000:
4
5 > it has been written in a hurry at work, while speaking at the phone with
6 > an italian customer...
7 > so i've spit out a rather difficult to understand sentence.
8
9 Yeah, that could do it. Not a problem... except that it wasn't until I
10 actually started trying to deconstruct it as part of my reply that I
11 actually made sense out of it. Before that, I thought it internally
12 conflicted with itself and figured I knew where you were trying to go
13 with it, but wasn't quite sure. Even afterward I wasn't sure I had it
14 right, thus bringing it up to ensure I did.
15
16 ... And while I don't understand more than a few words in any language
17 other than English, I'm /usually/ pretty good at groking strange word
18 ordering and etc, because I've been exposed to quite a variety of
19 multiple cultures of /some/ sort or another (plus now archaic English)
20 most of my life. So I'm unaccustomed to not being able to make sense out
21 of things, even if the word order is /not/ customary English. But this
22 one I really did get wrong at first. It was a stumper!
23
24 > this works for packages in gentoo. the problem is when the same package
25 > is provided in other overlays. I tend to use quite a big number of
26 > overlays and in that case the package mask is mandatory when you want to
27 > mask a specific version and overlay. sometimes when the version is the
28 > same this is proving difficult with portage.
29
30 Yes. I've only had that happen a relatively few times, because I only
31 use a relatively few overlays. And when it did happen here, it just
32 seemed to work the way I needed it to anyway, so I didn't trouble myself
33 with it. But certainly, once someone's running more than a small handful
34 of overlays, it can get "interesting".
35
36 > this is one of the reasons that i've switched to paludis
37
38 That's one thing the paludis devs have gotten right. It was designed
39 pretty much from the beginning to handle multiple overlays and make
40 configuring which one gets used for which packages relatively easy.
41
42 > this also applies when i want to mask/unmask stuff from my personal
43 > testing overlay (mainly patches against some build that fails). also
44 > when using masked ebuilds, like the live ones, the use of package.unmask
45 > and sometimes package.mask is quite useful.
46
47 I used to do a lot of personal overlay stuff. Now, I use Ed Catmur's
48 portage-patches scripts, which hook into portage and allow one to apply
49 one's own set of patches to a specified package. It works for patching
50 with an /etc/portage/patches tree much like the /etc/portage/env/ tree
51 that the last few versions of portage have worked with for setting stuff
52 like CFLAGS in a package-specific way. (I only recently realized Ed
53 Catmur is the author of udept, which I had merged previously, so he /
54 should/ be relatively familiar with portage tricks.)
55
56 Since I installed those scripts and now use package.keywords to set ~x86
57 or whatever for some packages instead of putting them in the overlay and
58 adding ~amd64, my personal overlay has remained almost empty. I had a
59 "live" pan ebuild, but eva@gentoo encouraged me to forward it when I
60 mentioned it in a bug and it's now in the tree. I have a copy of the
61 amarok-1.4.9999 live ebuild that I needed to modify to install slotted
62 and not conflict with the amarok-2/kde4 version, but that's about it. If
63 the patch is to the sources, I use portage-patches and use the existing
64 ebuild without changes. Only if the ebuild itself (or eclass, but that
65 hasn't happened in awhile) needs patching, and it can't be handled by say
66 setting EXTRA_ECONF in the /etc/portage/env tree either, does it end up
67 in my overlay. And that doesn't happen so often. Usually it's a sources
68 patch, and that can go in the /etc/portage/patches tree, thanks to Ed's
69 portage-patches.
70
71 > my problem is that my bugs are ignored due to --as-needed. now that
72 > diego has started to massively test the --as-needed flag as default
73
74 Hmm... I've been using --as-needed (in LDFLAGS but not forced in spec
75 files) for awhile myself, but haven't seen my bugs ignored with it.
76 Maybe it's the type of bugs I file, or the type of packages I end up
77 finding bugs in and the devs that maintain them, or the fact that if
78 I think my custom LDFLAGS (or CFLAGS or still masked gcc version or ...)
79 are causing problems, I set them to accepted Gentoo defaults for that
80 package using a file in the /etc/portage/env tree, and specifically
81 mention in my bug whether that changed the result or not.
82
83 One thing's for sure, I've certainly developed a much thicker skin over
84 the years, since one of my originally filed bugs got marked INVALID for
85 some stupid reason. I don't just tuck my tail between my legs and go
86 home like I used to, tho I've not had occasion to get into a real bug-
87 status war since that changed. But my bugs don't generally seem to be
88 ignored, either. Some don't get action for awhile, but it's not ignoring,
89 it's the "real life" of the assigned dev, and the fact that some of my
90 bugs are rather esoteric, so not /that/ system life threatening to
91 anything.
92
93 But Flameeyes' campaigning on the --as-needed thing is certainly needed.
94 I'm very glad he's doing it, as it's something few would have the skills
95 to tackle, but at the same time, something he can let his new machine do
96 much of the work on, so maybe he doesn't overwork himself so much.
97
98 Gentoo's lucky to have someone that talented around, and he doesn't have
99 the enormous ego problems a lot of the similarly talented devs seem to
100 have. Unfortunately, like my dad and sister, he seems to be a
101 workaholic. They do great and wonderful things, certainly, but they they
102 burn the candle at both ends doing it, and their health suffers as a
103 result. Having that problem in my own family, I recognize it in
104 Flameeyes as well, and his frequent hospital trips at such a relatively
105 young age concern me. He's an asset not only to Gentoo, but to the FLOSS
106 community in general, and I fear we're going to lose him if he can't
107 learn to pace himself. Fortunately, he seems to have realized that
108 himself, now, and has cut back substantially from what he /was/ trying to
109 do.
110
111 > O_O i didn't know that there was a package named emerge...
112
113 I didn't either... until then. But I learned! =:^)
114
115 > well, this also applies to the stable branch. then there are also the
116 > keyworded packages. i know that when gentoo came out this distinction
117 > (as it is still now) it has been a really good one, but still, nowadays
118 > when the unstable branch is as stable as the stable branch, with a big
119 > lack of devs, maybe it's better to think of dropping one of the 2.
120
121 Maybe the next time someone brings up the Enterprise Gentoo idea on the
122 dev list, I should counter with the dropping stable idea... AFAIK the
123 last time it came up was early this year, so it should be time for it to
124 come up again sometime between this spring and next fall...
125
126 But they've already dropped stable keyworks on IIRC mips (but don't quote
127 me on that, it may have been a different arch, and I'm too lazy to go
128 check my devlist archives ATM), because it just wasn't happening, and
129 maintainers were getting seriously annoyed due to having to keep outdated
130 and broken packages in the tree as the only stable on that arch.
131
132 > it's simple in my opinion. rhel offers a big stability with a lot of
133 > security features and so on. but it has a downside: it's built on
134 > classic and not optimized flags and the packages that are built are
135 > fully built, and not only with the stuff you
136 > really need. having a branch that has similar features, but it's
137 > optimized for a specific machine and takes full potential from that
138 > machine would be a boost. don't you think so?!
139
140 Yes. But the problem tends to be that these Enterprise users need
141 support, and for that to be economical, there has to be a reasonably
142 large size group on the same packages built with the same set of options
143 and CFLAGS.
144
145 They can get their support and run their proprietary packages, but to do
146 it, the tradeoff is that they gotta accept being a clone,
147 one-size-fits-all. The hard economics of the situation are that as soon
148 as you optimize for the hardware you're actually running, and build for
149 the dependencies you actually need, you're in a niche that's small enough
150 it's simply not economical to support you... at the level of commercial
151 support that RHEL's customers demand anyway, or they'd be elsewhere.
152
153 Practically speaking, you and I know that in many, perhaps most cases,
154 the benefit of such "support" is highly questionable anyway, because
155 practically speaking, posting to the relevant list/newsgroup/forum gets
156 an answer way faster than paid support is likely to. And in the cases
157 where it doesn't, paid support may fail as well. And... being open
158 source, for the few cases where that paid support does actually mean a
159 benefit, it's quite possible a single-shot consultant or developer job
160 could be funded to address that specific issue, customized solution, for
161 roughly the same money but in less time than than the paid support.
162
163 But regardless, that doesn't provide someone else to point the finger at
164 and save someone's a**, and... practically speaking, RHEL DOES pay a lot
165 of paychecks for full-time FLOSS developers, that would at best be part
166 time if it weren't for /someone/ deciding they needed that sort of
167 support enough to pay the big bucks for it.
168
169 > then we're back to the point when the distinction between stable and
170 > unstable is still a little useless nowadays. the release time between
171 > one version and the following is going to decrease as time goes. an
172 > example is xorg. just think of how many xorg-server versions have been
173 > released recently, and from what i've read the project would be pushed
174 > farther form intel that wants a fully featured and working environment
175 > for professional use. which has been the latest stable xorg ebuild?!
176
177 xorg is an interesting problem, not in the least because it has a very
178 clear yet politically unpalatable solution, simply ignore users who chose
179 hardware vendors whose only real competitive features are only enabled by
180 proprietaryware drivers. nVidia, and to a lessor extent ATI but that
181 one's being solved as we speak, are, simply put, holding xorg development
182 hostage to the rate at which they develop their proprietary drivers to
183 match. The logical thing to do would be to let xorg development and
184 those user who have hardware with freedomware drivers continue their
185 progress apace, and let the nVidia users be stuck on the two-years-
186 outdated or whatever proprietary development model they've chosen to
187 support with their buying dollars.
188
189 Actually, if you look at it, that's gotta be one of the reasons Intel is
190 pushing xorg development so hard. It has a competitive advantage in that
191 it's hardware, while not as full featured hardware-wise, has native
192 driver support for the latest whiz-bang xorg features right off the
193 blocks, leaving the proprietaryware folks sucking dust, and it's not
194 above trying to exploit it. AMD, who needs the Linux users far more than
195 Intel does, was facing the very real prospect of being practically locked
196 out of the Linux market due to Intel's Linux cooperation, and had no
197 choice but to respond, first by buying a graphics maker so it wasn't
198 locked out due to the proprietaryware actions of third parties, and then
199 by opening up ATI's graphics to the same extent, or actually even
200 further, pushing Intel.
201
202 But the gamers and their preferred nVidia proprietaryware are continuing
203 to hold things back, at least as far as stable support, and not just for
204 Gentoo. All of the big distributions are facing the problem, as are
205 Dell, Acer, Asus, and other OEMs now shipping Linux kit in some volume.
206 No major distro can afford to cut off the nVidia user market share, so
207 none of them can afford to ship a new xorg no matter how far behind their
208 current version is, until nVidia deigns to support a newer xorg with
209 their proprietary driver. And $deity have pity on the poor distrib that
210 has the luck of having nVidia release a driver just after they've frozen
211 the repository to all bug bug fixes in preparation for a new release,
212 because now they'll be shipping with an outdated nVidia driver AND xorg,
213 and can't really upgrade either one except as options, without delaying
214 release another month or two to test the new xorg with everything. And
215 if the major distros can't ship it, then the OEMs basing their own
216 distribs on them can't ship it, even if they're using Intel hardware that
217 could really benefit from the newer xorg.
218
219 Fortunately with the AMD purchase of ATI and its subsequent switch back
220 away from the dark side, 2009 seems likely to resolve this. The
221 distributions and hardware OEMs both are getting increasingly impatient
222 with nVidia, and with Intel support right there and AMD/ATI/Radeon
223 support coming on fast, 2009 looks likely to be the year nVidia either
224 reverses itself as well, or regardless, starts losing its ability to hold
225 things back.
226
227 Bringing that all back around to our discussion at hand, for other
228 distributions, that'll probably mean shipping a more modern xorg, with an
229 optional stale xorg just to support nVidia users, and a * on their
230 feature list with an "nVidia users" small-print disclaimer. KDE's not a
231 distribution, but it has already taken that tact by choosing not to
232 support nVidia proprietary driver users at full feature strength some of
233 the time.
234
235 Gentoo... will probably either end up taking a similar position with
236 stable, telling nVidia users to mask the newest stable until nVidia gets
237 off their a**, or will continue to let stable xorg molder, updating it
238 only when nVidia deigns to allow it by updating their proprietaryware,
239 meanwhile forcing more and more users who want decently current features
240 to either highly package.keyworded systems, or to fully ~arch systems.
241
242 Hopefully either nVidia or their proprietaryware driver users get a clue,
243 but I'm not holding my breath...
244
245 > for kde 3.5.7 and superior serie. the time in which it went stable has
246 > been very high. and the same reduction in time between releases is
247 > happening for other projects as well. i really think that this
248 > stable/unstable division should really be revised, especially when
249 > there's a problem with the lack of testing devs.
250
251 KDE... has been a problem for Gentoo of late. Well, KDE4 has been a
252 problem for everyone, not just Gentoo, but Gentoo had problems before
253 that, as you mentioned, from 3.5.x.
254
255 The real problem for Gentoo has been the size of KDE... and the devs on
256 the project. Losing developers, and before their loss, loss of
257 cooperation with the rest of Gentoo, due to an inability to work well
258 with others... hurts any project. There are certainly two sides to the
259 story and I'm not close enough to it nor do I have any desire to pick
260 sides, so I won't, but the fact is, whoever was to blame or whether it
261 was just the way things had to be, that loss /hurt/. We're lucky a bunch
262 of users got involved in the overlay work, or Gentoo basically wouldn't
263 /have/ a modern KDE, either 3.5 or 4.x series, at this point.
264
265 Hopefully that's all behind us and KDE can become a thriving healthy
266 project once again. As I said, I'm a bit far from the action, but that
267 influx of new blood, as well as some developers from other areas putting
268 on another hat, has seemed to help, and the major teething problems with
269 the switch to the 4.x series seem to be over, so I'm optimistic.
270
271 Otherwise, much as I hate to since Gentoo otherwise seems about the ideal
272 fit for me personally, I may end up having to ultimately switch to
273 something else (assuming KDE4.2 finally gets the kde4 act together
274 upstream, as they've been promising, or maybe kde will be what I end up
275 dropping), or perhaps more likely, simply switch to kde upstream directly
276 for KDE stuff.
277
278 But none of the other really big projects seem quite as bad as Gentoo/kde
279 and Gentoo/xorg. In particular, toolchain seems to still be quite
280 functional, and the PM side is strong enough it's supporting three
281 thriving PM! What about GNOME and XFCE? I've not /read/ of anything so
282 majorly wrong with those projects and from outside, they've seemed much
283 smoother, but unless GNOME reverses course with gnome3, it's not for me,
284 and xfce... well, I guess I've never seriously looked at it, but I've
285 always thought of it as not as full featured as I like... and my hardware
286 certainly isn't the issue it seems to be for a lot of xfce users.
287
288 For everything else, at least for desktop use, it doesn't seem to me that
289 stable lagging a bit should be a serious problem. If someone needs codec
290 support only in a new media-* package, unlike xorg or toolchain or the
291 desktop environment, they can package.keyword it without threatening the
292 stability of either the computer itself or at least their entire desktop.
293
294 >> While we're at it, the same applies to the usual KDE/GNOME/XFCE/etc
295 >> wars, and the VIM/EMACS wars, and ... and ... I've come to realize
296 >> that the approaches are just different, neither one "better", altho
297 >> certainly individuals will find one or the other "better" for their
298 >> individual needs.
299
300 > well, it' s better to have a choice and a battle between them than
301 > having one solution that doesn't progress, or that progresses in a bad
302 > way, as happens on windoze for example.
303
304 Exactly. Especially when "progress" as defined by some is "regression"
305 as defined by others. When that's the case, as it is for example with
306 the proliferation of user accessible controls on KDE as compared to
307 forced conformance to the "One True Way" (tm) on GNOME, it's /better/ to
308 have separate projects, and far from hurting each other, they keep the
309 devs who might otherwise cause problems and needless infighting on the
310 other alternative, working on their preferred alternative instead. Where
311 it's possible and convenient, they can always cooperate, and
312 freedesktop.org has been very good at bringing that with its various
313 hosted projects, while letting the desktop projects otherwise pull in
314 their opposing directions without hurting anyone, and in particular,
315 without hurting the interests of the wider FLOSS community. Why so few
316 see it and calls for "One True Desktop" (tm) are so common, I don't know,
317 except that those folks must still be thinking the "One True MS Way" (tm).
318
319 > as a little example, i have a friend that is fully convinced that linux
320 > is not capable of doing what windoze svista would do. i just showed him
321 > kde4 with compiz enabled, put on wow on codeweavers (thanks to the free
322 > giveaway offer from some time ago) and installed the native enemy
323 > territory and he remained stupified. he didn't believe
324 > that he could do the same things that he could do on windoze in a better
325 > way and more intuively on linux. now he's still staying with his windoze
326 > but he doesn't pretends anymore that linux is bad and not working.
327
328 Some people like the security and comfort "Big Brother" (tm) provides...
329
330 I could go off on a US political tangent here, or for that matter, on a
331 big bad MS tangent, but I won't... The big bad nVidia bit above is
332 enough for this post. =:^)
333
334 > the same could apply for gnome when speaking of innovative features,
335 > or to kde when speaking about eye candy or too much innovation all
336 > together. everyone should sustain their ideas and show them to the
337 > other part so that the other one could learn something from it. and i
338 > think that when this happens everyone gets stronger than before.
339
340 That's what's nice about choice and the FLOSS community way of developing
341 a bunch of competing solutions in parallel. That cross-pollination is
342 not just allowed, but actively encouraged! =:^)
343
344 > the same discussion might apply for microsoft-novell agreement that is
345 > has bought a very high compatibility with office
346 > documents to openoffice 3, so that everyone might continue to use
347 > whatever he likes without really worrying that the others could or
348 > couldn't understand them.
349
350 Of course, the Boycott-Novell folks have a very different view of things
351 there. But fortunately for me, I've been far enough away from that I've
352 had no need to develop an informed opinion on it. I very seldom have to
353 deal with Office formatted docs of any kind (save for the usual .pps cute/
354 funny mail stuff making the rounds, and I just ignore that), I don't use
355 Gnome for other reasons and haven't had to deal with mono, and Gentoo's
356 sufficient for me so I've little interest in Novell/SuSE as a
357 distribution. So I've sufficiently few dealings with them or their
358 controversial products that a boycott really isn't something that would
359 affect either them or me. The work of Greg KH (Novell employee, AFAIK)
360 on the kernel is about as close as it gets, here, and evidently his
361 integrity is sufficient I've seen nothing calling that into question.
366 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman