From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: eselect problems
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 23:19:44
1 2008/11/25 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
2 > Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
3 > d257c3560811250316g6a10f8ccoee464fe64c272fa7@××××××××××.com, excerpted
4 > below, on Tue, 25 Nov 2008 12:16:56 +0100:
5 >
6 >>>> Generally I've always run stable and then never shied away from having
7 >>>> a larger set of file in my package.keywords file to get what I think I
8 >>>> want to run.
9 >>>
10 >>> With ~arch by default, you normally have very few packages listed in
11 >>> package.keywords. There /may/ be a few individual packages that you
12 >>> choose to stay with stable on, but at least here, I don't use
13 >>> package.keywords for that but rather, package.mask, and mask whatever
14 >>> individual version I'm having problems with, thereby forcing portage
15 >>> back to a previous version, whether that's stable or an earlier ~arch
16 >>> version.
17 >>>
18 >> i found out that is better to have a less long package.mask instead of a
19 >> long package.unmask. it's faster to controll the stuff in your pc.
20 >
21 > That sentence is rather difficult to parse, here. I think it's probably
22 > because English isn't your native language, right? See if the following
23 > accurately conveys your intention or if am I still confused?
24 >
25 > "I [have] found out that [it] is better to have a short package.mask
26 > instead of a long package.unmask. It's more efficient control of the
27 > stuff on your PC."
28 >
29 it has been written in a hurry at work, while speaking at the phone
30 with an italian
31 customer...
32 so i've spit out a rather difficult to understand sentence.
33
34 > However you're not directly addressing what I was. Note that I was
35 > talking about package.keywords as opposed to package.mask, not
36 > package.unmask, which I didn't mention at all.
37 >
38 same as before...
39
40 > I was suggesting that if one has ~arch by default and finds an individual
41 > package where one wishes to revert to to stable arch, it may be better to
42 > list the broken ~arch version in package.mask, thus reverting to the
43 > working arch/stable version, instead of using package.keywords to revert
44 > to stable. For one thing, masking an individual version only affects
45 > that version, not newer versions, and in the next round, it's quite
46 > possible the ~arch version will be perfectly fine. If one has created
47 > the entry in package.keywords, one will still be stuck with it for the
48 > next version, while if the individual broken version is listed in
49 > package.mask, the next ~arch release will show up as unmasked again,
50 > giving one a chance to evaluate whether the problem is fixed or not.
51 > Hopefully it is.
52 >
53 this works for packages in gentoo. the problem is when the same package
54 is provided in other overlays. I tend to use quite a big number of overlays
55 and in that case the package mask is mandatory when you want to mask
56 a specific version and overlay. sometimes when the version is the same
57 this is proving difficult with portage. this is one of the reasons that i've
58 switched to paludis long ago when masking a specific package from an
59 external overlay wasn't really simple (if the version was the same of the
60 one present in portage).
61
62 > In practice I don't end up using package.mask very much. Most of the
63 > time, if a package doesn't work, I check bugs and if necessary file one,
64 > but often someone already has a bug filed and there's already a patch
65 > available for me to apply. I'll normally do that instead of masking the
66 > package. And occasionally I'll leave an update unmerged for a couple
67 > days if it's broken, hoping either a further update is release or a patch
68 > appears on the bug (which I've CCed to if I didn't file it myself) that I
69 > can apply (in my local overlay or whatever) and then merge the package.
70 >
71 this also applies when i want to mask/unmask stuff from my personal testing
72 overlay (mainly patches against some build that fails).
73 also when using masked ebuilds, like the live ones, the use of package.unmask
74 and sometimes package.mask is quite useful.
75
76 > If I put something in package.mask here, it's because it truly is broken
77 > on my config, perhaps because I often run hard-masked new gcc or
78 > baselayout/openrc versions or the like, before they even hit ~arch, or
79 > maybe because I tend to customize my system more than most and the
80 > package simply was never tested (even upstream) on a system that looked
81 > like mine before. In any case, I check for a filed bug and file one
82 > myself if necessary. Since that type of bug tends to take somewhat
83 > longer to fix than the trivial ones, if the package won't compile at all
84 > or has broken functionality I truly depend on, I'll package.mask that
85 > version and fall back to an earlier version until the bug is fixed, or in
86 > some cases I decide whatever customization I had that was breaking things
87 > isn't worth the trouble and I change it to something that works.
88 >
89 my problem is that my bugs are ignored due to --as-needed. now that diego
90 has started to massively test the --as-needed flag as default maybe would be
91 useful to go back reposting bugs that i might find. i'm now curently undergoing
92 a full system backup and automatizing it via rsync and cron and after that i'd
93 recompile whole world with forced --as-needed and --no-undefined and i
94 expect quite some issues with kde4, since i still haven't understood if xmlrpc-c
95 is really broken. so i need a backup of a fully working system before
96 undergoing
97 this recompile.
98
99 > So I usually have a very small package.mask. Right now there's only one
100 > entry in it, a permanent one, app-emacs/emerge, because one time I
101 > accidently double-typed "emerge emerge" and got /very/ confused when
102 > there actually /was/ a package called "emerge" and it tried to emerge it!
103 > =:^) So I keep that entry there to give me a warning I can understand
104 > (instead of a long list of new packages I didn't expect), if I ever make
105 > that mistake again.
106 >
107 O_O i didn't know that there was a package named emerge...
108
109 >> if there's the lack of testing devs for going into stable i don't really
110 >> know if it worths to continue keeping this distinction. maybe it would
111 >> be better to have something like a hardened branch in which to go with
112 >> only stable and secure stuff that gets updated rarely but that can be
113 >> used as production system. more like the fedora red hat enterprise
114 >> approach, where red hat is very stable and not updated very often
115 >> if not for security reasons and fedora that gets the new stuff.
116 >
117 > Well, keep in mind what you're replying to was written by a guy (myself)
118 > who doesn't have much personal use for stable. Some people do, and I
119 > probably would too if I were running a production server on it. But...
120 > Gentoo really does /not/ have an "Enterprise class" stable branch. Every
121 > year or so the discussion comes up again on the dev list, and we've had
122 > devs try to start such a project, and devs leave when it didn't work the
123 > way they wanted it to. The problem is that supporting such an ultra-
124 > stable branch, backporting fixes to old versions instead of forcing
125 > upgrades, etc, requires enormous development and testing resources that
126 > Gentoo simply doesn't have, and as it's currently structured, IMO will
127 > never have because it's in conflict with the whole idea behind Gentoo,
128 > rolling updates and all.
129 >
130 well, this also applies to the stable branch. then there are also the keyworded
131 packages. i know that when gentoo came out this distinction (as it is still now)
132 it has been a really good one, but still, nowadays when the unstable branch is
133 as stable as the stable branch, with a big lack of devs, maybe it's
134 better to think
135 of dropping one of the 2.
136
137 > Honestly, while I'll straight up admit I'm biased, I don't really see the
138 > purpose behind a Gentoo (as opposed to say Red Hat) stable in any case.
139 > The idea of a compile-your-own, seriously customizable (USE flags,
140 > CFLAGS), rolling update distribution, fits very well the user that loves
141 > that sort of customization and control, and sees keeping up to date with
142 > the latest as a good thing. This is where Gentoo works best.
143 >
144 it's simple in my opinion. rhel offers a big stability with a lot of
145 security features
146 and so on. but it has a downside: it's built on classic and not optimized flags
147 and the packages that are built are fully built, and not only with the
148 stuff you
149 really need. having a branch that has similar features, but it's optimized for
150 a specific machine and takes full potential from that machine would be a boost.
151 don't you think so?!
152
153 > But it doesn't fit with the user who needs long term support, who would
154 > rather keep a known working version and only change the bare minimum to
155 > get security fixes and the like, who often needs a one-size-fits-all less
156 > customized install (a known and predictable set of CFLAGS, a known set of
157 > dependencies that always apply to a given package, etc) so it's efficient
158 > for third party and proprietaryware (Oracle, for example) folks to
159 > support them, etc. That's the domain of the Enterprise distribution, and
160 > Gentoo's whole structure just doesn't fit. Now, it certainly WOULD be
161 > possible for a third party to create a Gentoo BASED Enterprise
162 > distribution, and that would be great! However, I'd argue that Gentoo
163 > itself can't do this, because it's antithetical to the very assumptions
164 > on which Gentoo is based, and were Gentoo to head that direction, it
165 > would by definition, lose those qualities for which it is known and which
166 > attracted many of us to it in the first place.
167 >
168 then we're back to the point when the distinction between stable and unstable
169 is still a little useless nowadays. the release time between one
170 version and the
171 following is going to decrease as time goes. an example is xorg. just
172 think of how
173 many xorg-server versions have been released recently, and from what i've read
174 the project would be pushed farther form intel that wants a fully featured and
175 working environment for professional use. which has been the latest stable xorg
176 ebuild?! or for kde 3.5.7 and superior serie. the time in which it
177 went stable has
178 been very high. and the same reduction in time between releases is happening
179 for other projects as well. i really think that this stable/unstable
180 division should
181 really be revised, especially when there's a problem with the lack of
182 testing devs.
183
184 > So as I said, every year or two there's a big discussion on -dev about
185 > trying to force Gentoo into the Enterprise mold, and unfortunately, every
186 > year or two when it does, some devs tend to get disillusioned and leave,
187 > because the rest of the devs resist casting Gentoo in concrete like that,
188 > and as a result, it'll never be the big money big business distribution
189 > these disillusioned devs seem to think they want. But if they wanted
190 > that, my question is why they're working on Gentoo in the first place,
191 > when there's far better matches for that ideal. Let Gentoo do what
192 > Gentoo does best, and let Red Hat do what Red Hat does best.
193 >
194 well, i'm not into starting a flame war for this, but in my opinion is more
195 sensate doing something similar than continuing with the stable/unstable
196 distinction, that in the last period doesn't really apply anymore.
197
198 > While we're at it, the same applies to the usual KDE/GNOME/XFCE/etc wars,
199 > and the VIM/EMACS wars, and ... and ... I've come to realize that the
200 > approaches are just different, neither one "better", altho certainly
201 > individuals will find one or the other "better" for their individual
202 > needs. But GNOME folks complain about the confusing array of
203 > configuration options available on KDE, and KDE folks complain about the
204 > crippling lack of configuration options and the "There can be only one
205 > best way and we know it" philosophy GNOME seems to have at times, and
206 > what few realize is that it's NOT a wasted duplication of effort, and
207 > that the GNOME folks wouldn't WANT the KDE folks there breaking their
208 > precious ONE BEST WAY ideas, and conversely, the KDE folks wouldn't WANT
209 > the GNOME folks trying to take away all those nice config options we
210 > like, so it really IS best they keep to their own projects, cooperating
211 > where they can of course, but still separate projects. And a parallel
212 > idea applies to VIM/EMACS, etc.
213 >
214 well, it' s better to have a choice and a battle between them than having one
215 solution that doesn't progress, or that progresses in a bad way, as happens
216 on windoze for example.
217
218 > Let each project do what it does best, and attract the devs and users
219 > that fit best, and let the alternatives continue to exist and flourish as
220 > well, so everyone finds a home that works for them, and nobody ends up
221 > breaking the already working just fine solutions others have developed
222 > for their own needs/wants niche.
223 >
224 i do agree with this point, but sometime it's better to have some arguing about
225 new solutions and to try them out. you can always learn something new. as a
226 little example, i have a friend that is fully convinced that linux is
227 not capable of
228 doing what windoze svista would do. i just showed him kde4 with compiz enabled,
229 put on wow on codeweavers (thanks to the free giveaway offer from some
230 time ago)
231 and installed the native enemy territory and he remained stupified. he
232 didn't believe
233 that he could do the same things that he could do on windoze in a better way and
234 more intuively on linux. now he's still staying with his windoze but
235 he doesn't pretends
236 anymore that linux is bad and not working. the same could apply for gnome when
237 speaking of innovative features, or to kde when speaking about eye
238 candy or too much innovation
239 all together. everyone should sustain their ideas and show them to the
240 other part so
241 that the other one could learn something from it. and i think that
242 when this happens
243 everyone gets stronger than before. the same discussion might apply for
244 microsoft-novell agreement that is has bought a very high
245 compatibility with office
246 documents to openoffice 3, so that everyone might continue to use whatever he
247 likes without really worrying that the others could or couldn't understand them.
250 dott. ing. beso