From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How To Play WMV?
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 06:31:41
1 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 27 September 2006 21:55, Peter Davoust <worldgnat@×××××.com>
3 > TOP-POSTED about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] How To Play WMV?':
4 >
5 >> On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 19:29 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> On Wednesday 27 September 2006 06:25, "Christoph Mende"
8 >>> <ch.mende@××××××××××.com> wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] How To Play
9 >>> WMV?':
10 >>>
11 >>>> Latest stable version of ffmpeg is supposed to support wmv.
12 >>>>
13 >>> Yeah, I don't have any -bin packages installed on ~amd64 and I can
14 >>> play some WMVs.
15 >>>
16 >> There are different versions of wmv. Last time I checked (on Ubuntu
17 >> atleast), the 64 bit of the w32codecs didn't work for WMV 9. The 32 bit
18 >> one seems to work perfectly though. You also have to have 32-bit
19 >> mplayer.
22 > Please don't top-post.
23 >
24 > Yeah, it really doesn't matter to me when proprietary formats aren't
25 > available. When I moved to amd64, I happily shed both flash and WMVs.
26 > (At the time I don't believe either firefox-bin or mplayer-bin was
27 > available.) I figure if it's not important enough for the
28 > producer/distributor to use accessible formats (Speex, Vorbis, FLAC,
29 > Theora, etc.) it's not important enough for me to spend time watching.
30 >
31 > *Insert Duncan's .sig here*
34 Well, I'm sorry but I disagree. Let's not go fanatic about any ideas.
35 Free software and open source are the greatest thing in the IT world (my
36 personal opinion), but should I not use NVidia's drivers only because
37 they are not GPLed? I would say anyone who uses software emulation
38 instead of hardware acceleration only because of the license is a fanatic.
39
40 I noticed that there is some kind of flash application that becomes more
41 and more popular on sites [1] providing something like "funny clips
42 exchange service". In order to watch the clips one needs Flash Player.
43 AFAIK there is no Flash Player for amd64 and there is no Flash-8 for
44 linux. No doubt it is wrong, but I'm far from the idea that the clips
45 people send are not worth seeing because of technical or license issues.
48 So I want to have flash/wmv/whatever running under Gentoo instead of
49 depriving myself.
50
51 [1] http://www.metacafe.com/
54 Best regards,