From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How To Play WMV?
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 04:15:56
1 On Wednesday 27 September 2006 21:55, Peter Davoust <worldgnat@×××××.com>
2 TOP-POSTED about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] How To Play WMV?':
3 > On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 19:29 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
4 > > On Wednesday 27 September 2006 06:25, "Christoph Mende"
5 > > <ch.mende@××××××××××.com> wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] How To Play
6 > > WMV?':
7 > > > Latest stable version of ffmpeg is supposed to support wmv.
8 > > Yeah, I don't have any -bin packages installed on ~amd64 and I can
9 > > play some WMVs.
10 > There are different versions of wmv. Last time I checked (on Ubuntu
11 > atleast), the 64 bit of the w32codecs didn't work for WMV 9. The 32 bit
12 > one seems to work perfectly though. You also have to have 32-bit
13 > mplayer.
14
15 Please don't top-post.
16
17 Yeah, it really doesn't matter to me when proprietary formats aren't
18 available. When I moved to amd64, I happily shed both flash and WMVs.
19 (At the time I don't believe either firefox-bin or mplayer-bin was
20 available.) I figure if it's not important enough for the
21 producer/distributor to use accessible formats (Speex, Vorbis, FLAC,
22 Theora, etc.) it's not important enough for me to spend time watching.
23
24 *Insert Duncan's .sig here*
27 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
28 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
29 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
30 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh