From: Kevin Philp <kevin@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] hardcore newbie
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:02:34
1 Not sure but in the past acpi/apic caused problems and sometimes you had to
2 boot with some options. When the cd starts you should get the option to add
3 some extra lines to the boot process (press F1, F2 and read the help).
4 Something like:
5
6 noapic nolapic acpi=off
7
8 I don't think its your partitions because you partition and format them during
9 the installation process... so you should get to a prompt with no partitions.
10 The Gentoo installer - for me - has been quite robust whereas Ubuntu has been
11 a constant pain with the install crashing part way through and thats with
12 5.10 and 6.04 and on various computers.
13
14 You get the AMD64 install didn't you? there is also an IA64 (Intel Arch) which
15 is a bit confusing.
16
17 Kevin.