From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Wifi adaptor recommendations
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 22:47:07
1 Joel Wirāmu Pauling posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 11:29:18 -0700 as
2 excerpted:
3
4 > Openwrt's build system is great. But as others have said running any non
5 > single purpose router at your edge has a lot of drawbacks. Not least
6 > that usable pcie wireless cards that work well in station mode are
7 > expensive. Whereas you can get the same chip in wifi router form for
8 > pennies AND you get a whole SoC platform and switch to go with it. You
9 > can always use you general purpose machine as a router and have the AP
10 > just be your air interface. But seriously Openwrt is MUCH easier to
11 > manage and cheaper.
12
13 [Replying to both your post and Mark's]
14
15 I've left out much of the context of the amd64 router discussion as it it
16 happened in a thread here last year, as it wasn't apropos to the
17 immediate adapter discussion. Here's a link to my original post starting
18 that thread, and you can follow the links from there to the thread in the
19 fancy or classic interface:
20
21 http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.amd64/17039
22
23 (I asked two questions there, but only the router one got much response.)
24
25 The recommendation there (originally by Thanasis, whose reply I like here
26 as well, tho I'm not replying directly to it ATM) was a 25-watt 4-core
27 amd cpu and a matching mini-ITX or micro-ATX mobo and case.
28
29 As originally envisioned, I'd get a mobo with one free PCIE slot, into
30 which I'd plug a 4xGigabitEthernet card, which runs about $100 on
31 pricewatch.com (tho refurbished are available somewhat cheaper), making
32 that card the single most expensive component. Making it into a wireless-
33 AP was an option, but I mostly intended to stay wired, for better
34 security.
35
36 25 watt peak CPU, probably 12 watt or so idle, say 25 watt idle total
37 power draw. That's not /too/ bad. Certainly better than repurposing and
38 old normal machine at perhaps 100 watt idle, especially here in Phoenix,
39 where all that heat has to be paid for in AC costs as well.
40
41 And I meant what I said there about finding the hassle of keeping
42 openwrt's somewhat different setup and config in mind, as opposed to all
43 gentoo, and about the hassle of having to build everything multiple
44 times. That's the biggest factor that kept me from doing much with
45 either my existing limited router or my netbook, and would consequently
46 be for me the biggest advantage of an amd64 router (and netbook
47 replacement).
48
49 I could use it for other things too, then, of course, and would, possibly
50 including streaming music or youtube, etc (if I didn't care about 1080p
51 +), when I didn't want to turn on the main machine, maybe as a personal
52 server, etc.
57 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman