From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Is it possible to get rid of firefox?
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:59:35
1 Michael Moore <mikem.unet@×××××.com> posted
2 20081118170056.GC8575@×××××××.linwin, excerpted below, on Tue, 18 Nov
3 2008 22:30:56 +0530:
4
5 > Indeed it doesn't. What i wanted to know was that can the bin package
6 > provide the files needed for the softwares to compile against? If not,
7 > then i guess i may have to stick with firefox lying around my sys.
8
9 The -bin package will be 32-bit. 64-bit packages don't like 32-bit
10 libraries. However, I'm not sure whether xulrunner is separately
11 executable or works as a library. If it's executable, the 32-bit may be
12 just fine. If it works as a library, no-go since that would be mixing 32-
13 bit libs in 64-bit apps and that won't work. (FWIW xulrunner-1.9, for
14 mozilla-firefox-3.x, has both binaries and shared-object libraries
15 (.so*), but I'm not sure if the libraries are only used internally or
16 not.)
17
18 FWIW, firefox-2 and the related gecko version is fast coming to the end
19 of its mozilla support period. Any products depending on them that
20 aren't already moving to newer gecko dependencies have a relatively short
21 life expectancy at this point. Both thunderbird and seamonkey depend on
22 them at present but have upgrades in the pipeline, altho there'll be a
23 bit of a gap before full release. For thunderbird, there's arrangements
24 already in place to cover the gap, but seamonkey and others are up in the
25 air at this point.
26
27 See the headlining feature article from the front page of the November 6,
28 2008 LWN weekly edition, here:
29
30 November 6 LWN Weekly Edition front page:
31 http://lwn.net/Articles/305169/
32
33 Article direct link:
34 The end of the Road for Firefox 2
35 http://lwn.net/Articles/306015/
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman