From: Michael Moore <mikem.unet@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Is it possible to get rid of firefox?
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:27:33
1 On 17:59 Tue 18 Nov , Duncan wrote:
2 > Michael Moore <mikem.unet@×××××.com> posted
3 > 20081118170056.GC8575@×××××××.linwin, excerpted below, on Tue, 18 Nov
4 > 2008 22:30:56 +0530:
5 >
6 > > Indeed it doesn't. What i wanted to know was that can the bin package
7 > > provide the files needed for the softwares to compile against? If not,
8 > > then i guess i may have to stick with firefox lying around my sys.
9 >
10 > The -bin package will be 32-bit. 64-bit packages don't like 32-bit
11 > libraries. However, I'm not sure whether xulrunner is separately
12 > executable or works as a library. If it's executable, the 32-bit may be
13 > just fine. If it works as a library, no-go since that would be mixing 32-
14 > bit libs in 64-bit apps and that won't work. (FWIW xulrunner-1.9, for
15 > mozilla-firefox-3.x, has both binaries and shared-object libraries
16 > (.so*), but I'm not sure if the libraries are only used internally or
17 > not.)
18
19 The wiki entry on xulrunner says:-
20
21 "XULRunner is a runtime environment developed by the Mozilla Foundation for
22 providing a common back-end for XUL applications. It replaced the Gecko
23 Runtime Environment, a stalled project with a similar purpose."
24 ...
25 "Benefits of having a separate shared run-time environment are the same
26 as those with shared libraries. Benefits to developers and source-based
27 systems – that is, systems on which programs are compiled from source as
28 opposed to downloaded in binary form – are decreased compilation time,
29 less bandwidth needs and less storage space needed. Benefits for use on
30 binary-based systems are similarly less bandwidth and storage use."
31
32 So, if i understand correctly, then, the -bin version can let the software
33 run but can't allow me to build it. So, acroread can work on top of
34 xulrunner-bin but can't be built (if Adobe someday open-sources it :-) ).
35
36 > FWIW, firefox-2 and the related gecko version is fast coming to the end
37 > of its mozilla support period. Any products depending on them that
38 > aren't already moving to newer gecko dependencies have a relatively short
39 > life expectancy at this point. Both thunderbird and seamonkey depend on
40 > them at present but have upgrades in the pipeline, altho there'll be a
41 > bit of a gap before full release. For thunderbird, there's arrangements
42 > already in place to cover the gap, but seamonkey and others are up in the
43 > air at this point.
44 >
45 > See the headlining feature article from the front page of the November 6,
46 > 2008 LWN weekly edition, here:
47 >
48 > November 6 LWN Weekly Edition front page:
49 > http://lwn.net/Articles/305169/
50 >
51 > Article direct link:
52 > The end of the Road for Firefox 2
53 > http://lwn.net/Articles/306015/
54 >
55 > --
56 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
57 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
58 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
61 Interesting article, i had thought Mozilla would support the 2.x series
62 for a lot longer.
66 Regards,
67 Michael Moore <mikem.unet(at)gmail.com>
68 About *NIX: If its not fun, why do it?