From: Jim <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64-bit or 32-bit?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:30:28
* on the Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 07:50:46PM +0200, Hemmann, Volker Armin said:
> On Sunday 26 March 2006 17:33, JimD wrote: > > Has anyone noticed any real benefit from running their gentoo in 64-bit > > vs doing everything 64-bit? > > > > I am trying to decide if I should put the time into setting up a 32-bit > > environment or and stay with 64-bit or if I should just rebuild my > > system at 32-bit. > > > > I am running with 2GB which should be fine for 32-bit. I don't have > > any specific needs for 64-bit. > > > > Would I notice any big slow down from doing everything 32-bit on > > amd64? I am wondering if I should just go rebuild 32-bit and retry > > 64-bit in 6-12 months. > > > > in 6-12 month the situation will not be different than now. > > So you can go 64 bit now. For flash and wmv files install firefox-bin and > mplayer-bin and you are covered. Waiting is just a waste of time - install > now and reinstall in 6 month.. why? That is one superflous installation you > do not need to do.
I started to setup a 32-bit chroot. However I noticed that emerge wants to merge almost a full system. It seems silly for me to have to maintain a complete 32-bit gentoo and a complete 64-bit gentoo. I don't use any programs that *need* 64-bit. I have firefox-bin installed and that works well. I also have mplayer-bin installed and that is working well. However on my x86 system I used mplayerplug-in to be able to watch media in Firefox. The only way I can install mplayerplug-in is to build a full 32-bit environment with a 32-bit xorg so I can build mplayerplug-in. That seems like a lot of work to have to do. For example, what other option do I have to watch a video like this: http://www.apple.com/trailers/warner_independent_pictures/thepromise/med.html Another possible issue I just thought about is that for me to VPN into work I have to use Nortel Networks crappy Extranet client. The linux version is binary only and is a *real* pain to get to install on 32-bit. I have not seen a 64-bit binary version so to use the VPN I would need to run a 32-bit kernel. Which means having 2 kernels, one 32-bit and one 64-bit and having to reboot everytime I need to VPN. The other option is to install VMWare with Win2k and run the VPN client in there. However I have not tested how that will work under a 64-bit kernel. I have just been trying to think of a compeling reason to maintain a 32-bit gentoo and a 64-bit gentoo and have not thought of any. Thanks for your input : ) Jim -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list