From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: GCC 4 CFLAGS
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 07:52:21
1 On Monday 25 September 2006 19:16, Duncan wrote:
2
3 > If you trust me not to pull some weird trick (I wouldn't, but hey, for
4 > all you know I'm just some guy on a list, do you know me well enough to
5 > trust? I'm not sure I'd trust a guy on the list in your spot, maybe
6 > depends on how desperate I was), I have binpkgs of the following gcc
7 > versions I could mail you:
8
9 Thanks anyway, Duncan, but I'm back to a stable 3.4.4 system now. I had to
10 re-solve a problem with gnutls and I had to re-compile the kernel, but for
11 the moment everything's looking solid. I probably ought to leave the GCC
12 upgrade now until I come back from my honeymoon.
13
14 > That does explain why your eselect-compiler could say 4.1.1 yet you were
15 > having problems as if it was 3.4.x. If 3.4.x was the only one on your
16 > system...
17
18 But 4.1.1 did exist as well - it must have to compile the kernel with
19 modules that had 4.1.1-magic. I don't know why the emerge process couldn't
20 find it, but I'm sure it was there, or had been at some stage. (After
21 restoring my backup with its 3.4.4 kernel modules, the 4.1.1 kernel in
22 my /boot partition couldn't load those modules at boot time, so I had to
23 boot an older system and recompile the kernel with 3.4.4 GCC. Soon done,
24 but it confirms the presence of gcc-4.1.1.)
27 Rgds
28 Peter
29 --
30 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list