From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: server setting up funny interfaces
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 18:21:54
1 Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com> posted 20081118163554.GB160178@×××.com,
2 excerpted below, on Tue, 18 Nov 2008 08:35:54 -0800:
3
4 > Bob Sanders, mused, then expounded:
5 >>
6 >> Actually, it's even easier - just delete
7 >> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and reboot. Udev will create
8 >> a new /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules with the correct
9 >> information.
10 >>
11 > I'll caveat this a bit. It works fine in simple cases - onboard GigE.
12 > But in systems with add-in ethernet, GigE, or 10GigE cards,
13 > /lib/udev/write_net_rules will usually make the add-in card eth0. Some
14 > Quad GigE cards have rather weird port setups or PCI-bridge addressing
15 > schemes that end up with port 2 of 4 as eth0.
16 >
17 > In those cases, it's best to write 70-persistent-net.rules the way you
18 > want it. But remember - the mac addr has to be lower case, and all the
19 > syntax correct or udev will re-write it.
20
21 It's also worth noting for those using ~arch udev, that there was an
22 issue with persistent-net.rules in udev-132, which is now masked.
23
24 I run an all ~arch system, and while I didn't configure a persistent net
25 (only one Ethernet interface to worry about, eth0 it should be and has
26 been), udev-132 caused problems for me due to that file anyway. For some
27 reason, with udev-132, my Broadcom Tigon-3 based device was triggering
28 two different entries, the first a generic entry matching the MAC
29 address, the second also matching the MAC address but with a bit more
30 detail. The first was setup as eth0, so when the second, apparently the
31 actually active one, appeared, it got set to eth1.
32
33 Luckily I had seen the post-inst warning about possible persistent-
34 net.rules problems, and while I had blown it off earlier as not having
35 any such configured, knew where to look as a result of that warning when
36 things went wrong. Except the warning said just delete the file and
37 retrigger, and that didn't seem to work. I ended up editing the detailed
38 entry it created pointing at eth1, to point to eth0 instead. That fixed
39 the problem.
40
41 That was yesterday. With today's update, I see udev-132 is now masked
42 and it wanted to downgrade. But since I already had fixed the problem on
43 my own, I just added a udev-132 entry to my package.unmask file and kept
44 it. One of the bugs mentioned in the masking entry says udev-133 is
45 available upstream, but it wasn't in portage yet when I did today's
46 updates. It's possible I'll have to tweak things again for it, since I
47 tweaked them special for -132. Oh, well. Just part of working with
48 ~arch, I guess. If I wasn't up for the challenge of dealing with
49 occasionally broken ~arch packages, my interest in computers would
50 instead be something like an interest in watching the turntable in the
51 microwave go round and round... or perhaps being a brainless TV zombie
52 getting programmed by all the stupid ads... boring!
57 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman