From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: server setting up funny interfaces
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 18:54:38
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com> posted 20081118163554.GB160178@×××.com,
3 > excerpted below, on Tue, 18 Nov 2008 08:35:54 -0800:
4 >
5 >> Bob Sanders, mused, then expounded:
6 >>> Actually, it's even easier - just delete
7 >>> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and reboot. Udev will create
8 >>> a new /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules with the correct
9 >>> information.
10 >>>
11 >> I'll caveat this a bit. It works fine in simple cases - onboard GigE.
12 >> But in systems with add-in ethernet, GigE, or 10GigE cards,
13 >> /lib/udev/write_net_rules will usually make the add-in card eth0. Some
14 >> Quad GigE cards have rather weird port setups or PCI-bridge addressing
15 >> schemes that end up with port 2 of 4 as eth0.
16 >>
17 >> In those cases, it's best to write 70-persistent-net.rules the way you
18 >> want it. But remember - the mac addr has to be lower case, and all the
19 >> syntax correct or udev will re-write it.
20 >
21 > It's also worth noting for those using ~arch udev, that there was an
22 > issue with persistent-net.rules in udev-132, which is now masked.
23 >
24 > I run an all ~arch system, and while I didn't configure a persistent net
25 > (only one Ethernet interface to worry about, eth0 it should be and has
26 > been), udev-132 caused problems for me due to that file anyway. For some
27 > reason, with udev-132, my Broadcom Tigon-3 based device was triggering
28 > two different entries, the first a generic entry matching the MAC
29 > address, the second also matching the MAC address but with a bit more
30 > detail. The first was setup as eth0, so when the second, apparently the
31 > actually active one, appeared, it got set to eth1.
35 Duncan, the server I had this trouble with only had one interface. It's
36 a blade and it started acting up well over a year ago with this problem.
37 I don't use DHCP on that server, and hard coded the IP and default gw on
38 it and still had it acting up. I didn't do anything specific it, it's a
39 setup I've done a hundred times before on those blades. Weird.
45 Frustra laborant quotquot se calculationibus fatigant pro inventione
46 quadraturae circuli
47
48 Mark Haney
49 Sr. Systems Administrator
50 ERC Broadband
51 (828) 350-2415
52
53 Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support