From: Harm Geerts <harmgeerts@××××.nl>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Amarok plugin problem
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 21:34:06
1 On Thursday 21 December 2006 06:21, Denis Solaro wrote:
2 > On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 13:54:24 -0500
3 >
4 > Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
5 > > I've been having this problem for a while now - I've been avoiding
6 > > Amarok as a result. Not sure what the cause is, and I haven't had much
7 > > luck searching for the issue online.
8
9 Kevin Koltzau posted the solution, if you haven't seen his mail come by you
10 might want to look on gmane. there have been reports about lost mail on
11 gentoo's ML's (but this may have already been fixed. I'm not sure, so if
12 anyone can confirm that I would be thankfull)
13
14 > And amarok is not your light program either. I have seen trading systems
15 > deployed in banks that used less memory and CPU time.
16
17 Yeah, but they don't play music
18 or provide easy access to media devices
19 or provide easy access to additional information about artists and albums
20 or search for the lyrics of the song you listen to
21 or integrate last.fm, which provides information about your *audioprofile*
22 or supports dynamic playlists which selects tracks based on your criteria
23
24 amarok is not light because it's not designed with that goal in mind
25
26 and the ram usage is only a problem when it's needed for something else.
27 Keep in mind, most desktop systems rarely fully utilize their resources. If
28 ram isn't used, it's wasted.
29
30 > Audacious is neat,
31 > it's small, doesn't need a cluster of mysql databases and a Sun Enterprise
32 > server to run.
33
34 amarok also runs fine with sqlite, so this shouldn't be keeping anyone back.
35 --
36 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list