From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: URGENT: No more fonts after xorg changes
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 13:35:36
1 On Sunday 03 December 2006 04:53, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: URGENT: No more fonts after xorg changes':
3 > On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 19:10:27 +0000 (UTC), Duncan wrote:
4 > > Of course, here, I purposefully bought an ATI Radeon 9200 series
5 > > graphics card since it has free drivers. I couldn't legally run
6 > > slaveryware even if I wanted to.
7 > > Until Nvidia has decent free drivers, they
8 > > don't get my money,
9 >
10 > There is no EULA that you *have* to agree to. Nvidia's driver are
11 > free as in beer, but they are not open
12 > source. This is because the code for some of the T&L stuff is licenced
13 > from another company, and that licence doesn't allow Nvidia to
14 > distribute the source.
15 >
16 > That leaves Nvidia two choices, distribute closed source drivers for
17 > Linux, or remove that code from the Linux drivers
18
19 ...or both (release a "free" version and a "full" version), or release
20 specs so we can write our own drivers (we don't need to know anything
21 patentable or even trade-secret-able, just how to talk to the hardware) or
22 a half-dozen other options. There's no duality here, just nvidious
23 deciding to only provide shackles (free of charge, woohoo!) and "everyone"
24 deciding to put them on.
25
26 NB: I use the nvidia driver; I don't like it, but I do use it since I do
27 occationally play games that require accelerated 3d.
30 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
31 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
32 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
33 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh