From: Francisco Perez <fperez@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Upgrading to Raid
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 01:27:04
1 Correct me if I am wrong since I have yet to have to deal with restoring
2 failed disk in an array, but in a hardware raid, with my card I would
3 just enter the card's bios after rebooting and then restore the new
4 replacement drive from the secondary image (remember I am using raid 10
5 with 4 disks.) Is there something I'm forgetting?
6
7 Frank
8
9 Florian D. wrote:
10 > because there are so many people praising software-raid, you´ll probably
11 > find this story interesting, which happened to me yesterday (my system
12 > is -for the biggest part- on a raid5 partition):
13 >
14 > while I emerged koffice, played some mp3´s and let matlab calculate sth.
15 > in the background, I tried to start a windows program with wine. I
16 > really shouldn´t do that, because Linux crashed and after a hard reboot
17 > it could not boot any more. It stopped during the execution of the
18 > init-scripts and i was not able to do anything, thus: 2nd hard reboot. I
19 > have another(old) gentoo installation on my computer and this time I
20 > booted into that one. By accident I realized that one of the discs of my
21 > raid system has been marked as faulty and it was syncing in the
22 > background. /proc/mdstat said that it would need 20min or so, but after
23 > 15min it said 200min! After another 10min it was sth >300min (and a lot
24 > of IO errors). So I rebooted again, this time it synced successfully in
25 > 12min. Then it was possible to boot and work with my normal system
26 > without any further difficulties or IO errors.
27 >
28 > Summing up, I can say:
29 >
30 > + I successfully wrecked my file system, but software raid was able to
31 > repair it
32 > - without a second Linux-installation on another partition, you´re lost
33 > - restoring of a faulty raid disk is not reliable
34 > - it seems that it is not possible to boot or work with a system, whose
35 > system disk is being restored at the same time (Linux-2.6.12.6)
36 --
37 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list