From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: kdm-4.10.5-r1 - 2+ minute login delay
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 23:54:20
1 On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Barry Schwartz
2 <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> skribis:
4 >> If you get a chance could you please post whatever script you run
5 >> to start X this way. I haven't done this in years and it will save me
6 >> some time researching it.
7 >
8 > You can just turn off the kdm and put ‘exec startkde’ in ~/.xinitrc
9 > Then when you run startx you get KDE. That is how I do it.
12 OK, got a chance to try this. No delays starting up KDE from a console
13 using startx so it is looking like a KDM issue to me, or at least I'll
14 assume that in the short run.
15
16 I've not tried rebuilding any packages yet ala Duncan's USE flag
17 suggestions. It seems I don't have as many options as he does. Of the
18 4 flags he suggested it seems that consolekit & policykit are forced
19 on for some packages and kept that way no matter what I put in
20 /etc/portage/make.conf. I presume that is either driven by my choice
21 of the KDE profile or the ebuild itself? Not sure if Duncan builds
22 using portage or from code. Anyway, only kdelibs will get rebuilt with
23 -upower & -udisks. Worth a try I suppose, but as I suspect this is a
24 KDM issue I'm not confident it will help.
25
26 Anyway, thanks to all for the inputs.
27
28 Cheers,
29 Mark