From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] gcc 4.1 + CFLAGS
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:47:45
1 On Saturday 10 June 2006 00:32, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > On Friday 09 June 2006 22:45, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 20:50 +0200, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
4 > > > > If -ffast-math is filtered or stripped out, there is no harm in
5 > > > > leaving it in CFLAGS, right?
6 > > >
7 > > > no, because a lot of other flags are filtered too!
8 > >
9 > > What??? Whether only -ffast-math is filtered or all flags are
10 > > filtered, -ffast-math still filtered. I don't see where the harm
11 > > lies.
12 >
13 > the harm lies in an app, that does not filter and breaks in subtle ways
14 > when compiled with fast-math.
15
16 One may even argue that those ebuilds that filter out fast-math are broken
17 as it is an unsupported flag. One that can not be expected to work
18 globally. (And yes I'm maintainer of one of them (ooffice)). The reason
19 that maintainers add them is just because there are too many people that
20 insist on using broken flags, but still want to be able to have a useable
21 system (including an office suite).
22
23 Paul
26 Paul de Vrieze