From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] gcc 4.1 + CFLAGS
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 22:41:34
1 On Friday 09 June 2006 22:45, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 20:50 +0200, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
3 > > > If -ffast-math is filtered or stripped out, there is no harm in leaving
4 > > > it in CFLAGS, right?
5 > >
6 > > no, because a lot of other flags are filtered too!
7 >
8 > What??? Whether only -ffast-math is filtered or all flags are filtered,
9 > -ffast-math still filtered. I don't see where the harm lies.
10
11 the harm lies in an app, that does not filter and breaks in subtle ways when
12 compiled with fast-math.
16 > > FOR SPECIAL APPS. AND THIS DOCUMENT IS MEANT FOR PROGRAMMERS! PEOPLE WHO
17 > > KNOW THEIR CODE!
18 >
19 > I didn't see anywhere that the AMD document is for special applications
20 > only. Where does it say that?
21 >
22 > What it does say is that applications the rely on exact implementation
23 > of IEEE rules or specifications for floating-point behavior shouldn't
24 > use -ffast-math.
25
26 again, that guide is for programmers, to optimze the code they wrote and they
27 know in and out. Not end users, who turn on every flag because it sounds
28 good.
33 > Chapter 1 Introduction, Section 1.1 Audience says:
34 >
35 > This document is intended for ISVs and end-users of the AMD
36 > Athlon 64 processor-based platforms...
37 >
38 > It's clear that you think using -ffast-math is dangerous. I don't, so I
39 > plan on continuing to use it. So far, the evidence from my system is in
40 > my favor. (I did run across two more instances, just today, where, in
41 > addition, to busybox, ebuilds fail with -ffast-math: cdparanoia and
42 > pcmciautils.)
43
44 I don't even think so, I know it.
45 I have seen enough people breaking their systems with ffast-math and similar
46 dangerous flags.
49 > What would make me change my mind is some evidence, or some authority
50 > who could convincingly explain why the experiences of those who do use
51 > -ffast-math is anomalous. SHOUTING OR MERELY ASSERTING THAT IT'S A
52 > PROBLEM is not really convincing.
53
54 maybe man gcc is evidence enough?
55 --