From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: unable to emerge anything
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 18:42:14
1 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
2 d257c3560802060625o3261f5cfw4eec6d5718e3bad9@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Wed, 06 Feb 2008 14:25:24 +0000:
4
5 > 2008/2/6, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
6 >>
7 >> -fomit-frame-pointer is the default for -O and above on amd64/x86_64
8 >
9 > i tend to always add it since i don't want to always look at what the
10 > arch would do later.
11
12 OK, makes sense. I used to as well, but I've enough other stuff there
13 now that if I can avoid duping defaults, I do! =8^)
14
15 > i tend to think that Os should be gentoo's default, since it adds some
16 > options for cache and disk occupation and since i've always been good
17 > with it.
18
19 Like I said, I used to use it, and agreed with you. I still do in
20 principle, but with gcc-4.2, -O2 is enough improved it does what I want,
21 now, without doing what I don't want, for the most part. There's still a
22 couple bits I change, but from 4.2, there'd be about as many I'd change
23 for -Os as for -O2, and -O2 is certainly better tested, so that's what I
24 decided to run for at least this version. I'll have to see if that
25 changes again when 4.3 comes out.
26
27 > -mmmx is included in the default for -march=k8
28 >
29 > when i've added it it wasn't included by default.
30
31 Are you sure? For amd64/x86_64, AFAIK, -mmmx has always been there as
32 it's part of the architecture definitions. (BTW I wonder if Via's new 64-
33 bit Isaiah changes things in this regard; IIRC they omitted part of the
34 pentium spec for some 32-bit CPU some years ago now altho it wasn't Via
35 at the time but someone they later purchased, but anyway, it threw
36 compilers for a loop for awhile, but hopefully they learned from that.)
37
38 >> What about -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs? Why do you use that?
39 >
40 > this should help with virtualizazion apps. xen won't work well without
41 > it with large system memory. without xen or other virt apps this
42 > shouldn't influence much on the packages.
43
44 OK, that answers /that/ question. My CPUs, being Opteron 290s, aren't of
45 the virtualization instruction generation yet, and I've kind of avoided
46 it for that reason. Thus, the flag above isn't something I need to worry
47 about. Thanks!
48
49 >> > also add:
50 >> > LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed,-O1 -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -Wl,--sort-common
51 >> > -s"
52 >>
53 >> Could you point me to documentation on LDFLAGS in general, or at least
54 >> --enable-new-dtags and --sort-common? I use --as-needed already (
55 >> documentation at http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml )
56
57 > --sort-common is to prevent gaps between symbols due to alignment
58 > constraints, presumably increasing efficiency layout. here's an
59 > interesting topic on ldflags:
60 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-67777.html
61
62 Thanks! Bookmarking for later reference (I'm about to go to sleep now
63 and am too sleepy to make sense of much new stuff ATM).
64
65 > --enable-new-dtags should be default for current binutils but it was
66 > there from my 3 years old make.conf so it is still there. adding it
67 > again shouldn't do harm.
68
69 Again, thanks. Now that you mention it, I think I did see something to
70 that effect elsewhere, but didn't worry about it since it was now the
71 default.
72
73 > yep, i'll try out [-j, unlimited jobs] someday.
74 > for the moment i'm planning a disk
75 > change, mine has already 2 years and its overall health is starting to
76 > be heard when writing or reading data from the disk.
77
78 Ouch! Unfortunately, my last couple disks didn't really get to that
79 point. The last one in particular got too hot after the A/C died on a
80 summer day when I was out, here in Phoenix. The room air temp could have
81 gotten to well over 50 C, so who knows how hot the disk got! Fortunately
82 I had the disk partitioned decently and unmounted backup partitions of
83 most stuff, which was generally retrievable. I was even able to run the
84 thing in operation for awhile after it cooled back down -- NOT using the
85 partitions that the head had crashed on due to the heat, of course, but I
86 replaced it as soon as I could scrap the money together.
87
88 That's when I decided I needed RAID. Two disks in a row going out after
89 almost exactly a year each. FWIW, I also ended up replacing the A/C, and
90 I've not had a problem since, 2.5 years ago now.
91
92 > i've got an
93 > external bigger disk that i'll partition with tmpfs for paludis and
94 > portage. the only thing that i still don't know is:
95
96 > 1. can i put on more than one different tmpfs?!
97
98 Yes. I'm actually running several, /dev (udev), max size 2 MB, /dev/shm
99 (FHS but used only by portage for PORTAGE_TMPFS, not to be confused with
100 PORTAGE_TMPDIR and PKG_TMPDIR), max 50 MB, /lib64/rcscripts/init.d (old
101 entry, now inactive, old baselayout-1.x), max 512 KB, and my big one, /
102 tmp, 6 GB. /var/tmp is actually a symlink to the 6 gig /tmp, and both
103 PORTAGE_TMPDIR and PKG_TMPDIR point to /tmp. (Note that ccache's dir is
104 inside PORTAGE_TMPDIR by default according to make.conf.example. You'll
105 want to put it elsewhere, OUTSIDE the tmpfs, so it doesn't die at reboot,
106 rather defeating the purpose.)
107
108 2. if i put one tmpfs and symlink there what i do want to use on tmpfs is
109 better?!
110
111 I can't quite get that question to parse. However... remember that while
112 you can have multiple tmpfs mounted, if you might be using both at once,
113 you need to consider the total effect on memory. Thus, it's probably
114 better to only have one big (multi-gig) one, and point other things at it
115 if necessary. I've used symlinks (as with /var/tmp above), but mount --
116 bind /should/ work as well, AFAIK.
117
118 While we're talking symlinks, this is for cache not tmp, but it may be
119 worth mentioning that I have one filesystem containing all my system
120 cache stuff on RAID-0, that is, CCACHE_DIR, PORTDIR (including layman's
121 subdirs and DISTDIR but not PKGDIR), and /usr/src. Those are
122 traditionally in various separate locations, but here, I have them all as
123 subdirs on the same RAID-0 backed filesystem for speed and because they
124 don't need redundancy. CCACHE_DIR and PORTDIR can of course be reset to
125 point to the desired subdirs directly, but /usr/src is a symlink to the
126 appropriate subdir on my RAID-0, which I have mounted as /str (for
127 striped). So /usr/src -> /str/usrsrc as a symlink. I also symlink most
128 of my frequently used dirs directly from root, too. So /h -> /home
129 (actually, the reverse, I mount my home filesystem on /h, and /home -> /
130 h), /usr/local -> /l, /var/log -> /log, /usr/portage -> /p -> /str/
131 portage, etc. Saves a lot of typing that way, as I can refer to /l/bin/
132 script or /log/messages or /p/profiles/package.mask, for instance.
133
134 Symlinks are SO useful; I'm STILL trying to figure out how I survived a
135 decade on MS without them! (Actually, by W98 time, I was using a third
136 party Explorer extension that allowed one to create custom system
137 folders, much like My Computer is as shipped, but of course that was
138 only /sort/ of like symlinks, I had yet to discover the power of the real
139 thing! =8^) Of course, since the advent of --bind and friends as options
140 to mount, basically the same thing could be accomplished with it by mount
141 --binding the subdirs as necessary, but I don't think MS does that
142 either, and symlinks work, so that's what I've used.
147 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
150 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list