From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: unable to emerge anything
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 19:11:42
1 2008/2/6, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
2 >
3 > Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
4 > d257c3560802060625o3261f5cfw4eec6d5718e3bad9@××××××××××.com, excerpted
5 > below, on Wed, 06 Feb 2008 14:25:24 +0000:
6 > >> What about -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs? Why do you use that?
7 > >
8 > > this should help with virtualizazion apps. xen won't work well without
9 > > it with large system memory. without xen or other virt apps this
10 > > shouldn't influence much on the packages.
11 >
12 > OK, that answers /that/ question. My CPUs, being Opteron 290s, aren't of
13 > the virtualization instruction generation yet, and I've kind of avoided
14 > it for that reason. Thus, the flag above isn't something I need to worry
15 > about. Thanks!
18 on processors with virt instruction it should be mandatory and on system
19 without them this option would speed-up the virtualization to about 50%. in
20 fact the xen ebuild also says this.
21
22 > yep, i'll try out [-j, unlimited jobs] someday.
23 > > for the moment i'm planning a disk
24 > > change, mine has already 2 years and its overall health is starting to
25 > > be heard when writing or reading data from the disk.
26 >
27 > Ouch! Unfortunately, my last couple disks didn't really get to that
28 > point. The last one in particular got too hot after the A/C died on a
29 > summer day when I was out, here in Phoenix. The room air temp could have
30 > gotten to well over 50 C, so who knows how hot the disk got! Fortunately
31 > I had the disk partitioned decently and unmounted backup partitions of
32 > most stuff, which was generally retrievable. I was even able to run the
33 > thing in operation for awhile after it cooled back down -- NOT using the
34 > partitions that the head had crashed on due to the heat, of course, but I
35 > replaced it as soon as I could scrap the money together.
38 i won't use raid, since i'm on notebook. so raid doesn't has a reason to be
39 since it won't work. lvm2 instead would be installed. also it seems that my
40 notebook is able to boot external disks and for that reason i might put a
41 root copy on the external disk.
42
43 > i've got an
44 > > external bigger disk that i'll partition with tmpfs for paludis and
45 > > portage. the only thing that i still don't know is:
46 >
47 > > 1. can i put on more than one different tmpfs?!
48 >
49 > Yes. I'm actually running several, /dev (udev), max size 2 MB, /dev/shm
50 > (FHS but used only by portage for PORTAGE_TMPFS, not to be confused with
51 > PORTAGE_TMPDIR and PKG_TMPDIR), max 50 MB, /lib64/rcscripts/init.d (old
52 > entry, now inactive, old baselayout-1.x), max 512 KB, and my big one, /
53 > tmp, 6 GB. /var/tmp is actually a symlink to the 6 gig /tmp, and both
54 > PORTAGE_TMPDIR and PKG_TMPDIR point to /tmp. (Note that ccache's dir is
55 > inside PORTAGE_TMPDIR by default according to make.conf.example. You'll
56 > want to put it elsewhere, OUTSIDE the tmpfs, so it doesn't die at reboot,
57 > rather defeating the purpose.)
60 this is interesting.
61
62 2. if i put one tmpfs and symlink there what i do want to use on tmpfs is
63 > better?!
64 >
65 > I can't quite get that question to parse. However... remember that while
66 > you can have multiple tmpfs mounted, if you might be using both at once,
67 > you need to consider the total effect on memory. Thus, it's probably
68 > better to only have one big (multi-gig) one, and point other things at it
69 > if necessary. I've used symlinks (as with /var/tmp above), but mount --
70 > bind /should/ work as well, AFAIK.
71 >
72 > While we're talking symlinks, this is for cache not tmp, but it may be
73 > worth mentioning that I have one filesystem containing all my system
74 > cache stuff on RAID-0, that is, CCACHE_DIR, PORTDIR (including layman's
75 > subdirs and DISTDIR but not PKGDIR), and /usr/src. Those are
76 > traditionally in various separate locations, but here, I have them all as
77 > subdirs on the same RAID-0 backed filesystem for speed and because they
78 > don't need redundancy. CCACHE_DIR and PORTDIR can of course be reset to
79 > point to the desired subdirs directly, but /usr/src is a symlink to the
80 > appropriate subdir on my RAID-0, which I have mounted as /str (for
81 > striped). So /usr/src -> /str/usrsrc as a symlink. I also symlink most
82 > of my frequently used dirs directly from root, too. So /h -> /home
83 > (actually, the reverse, I mount my home filesystem on /h, and /home -> /
84 > h), /usr/local -> /l, /var/log -> /log, /usr/portage -> /p -> /str/
85 > portage, etc. Saves a lot of typing that way, as I can refer to /l/bin/
86 > script or /log/messages or /p/profiles/package.mask, for instance.
87 >
88 > Symlinks are SO useful; I'm STILL trying to figure out how I survived a
89 > decade on MS without them! (Actually, by W98 time, I was using a third
90 > party Explorer extension that allowed one to create custom system
91 > folders, much like My Computer is as shipped, but of course that was
92 > only /sort/ of like symlinks, I had yet to discover the power of the real
93 > thing! =8^) Of course, since the advent of --bind and friends as options
94 > to mount, basically the same thing could be accomplished with it by mount
95 > --binding the subdirs as necessary, but I don't think MS does that
96 > either, and symlinks work, so that's what I've used.
99 yep you're quite right on synlinks. it seems that vista has something
100 similar.
104 dott. ing. beso