From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] AMD64 - Firefox, flash, java, mplayer and more....
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 18:30:30
1 On 12/7/05, Brett Johnson <brett@××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi Mark,
3 >
4 > 1) Yes, if you install x86 version of gentoo, it will be 100% functional
5 > as a 32 bit OS.
6 >
7 > 2) You can install a 32 bit choot version of gentoo under you 64 bit os
8 > and be able to run 32 bit apps in the chroot while still running the 64
9 > bit os. This option will require additional disk space as you are running
10 > two seperate installs of gentoo (excpet you don't need to build the
11 > kernel, logger, cron etc.. in the 32 bit install). Here is a good doc on
12 > how to set this up.
13 >
14 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/howtos/index.xml?part=1&chap=3
15 >
16 > Brett
19 Thanks to all that answered. I had not seen the howto referenced by a
20 large number of you. Had I seen it I suppose I would have still come
21 to aska few questions, and I may yet still do that.
22
23 I'm doing the install as outlined in that document now.
24
25 I do find it surprising/curious/mystifying that I can run, for
26 instance, a 32-bit Firefox with 32-bit helper apps, all running from
27 the chrooted environment, but as far as I can tell, you are saying it
28 will be using a 64-bit version of X, along with 64-bit ATI drivers,
29 64-bit Alsa and a 64-bit kernel, etc., to display the web pages and do
30 the audio.
31
32 I'm sure I don't have this quite right in my mind yet. I presume that
33 to build FIrefox and mplayer in the chrooted environemnt I will end up
34 building a 32-bit version of X, etc., but I guess it's not used?
35
36 Anyway, I'll go do the work and see how it works out.
37
38 Thanks again,
39 Mark
42 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list