From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Mount iomegs 1tb external HD
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 15:20:34
1 Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com> posted
2 200903090912.51323.gentoo@××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Mon, 09
3 Mar 2009 09:12:49 +0000:
4
5 > Thanks for the replies, sorry I haven't been back in touch for a few
6 > days. If I click Properties and select the Permissions tab the User is
7 > -me(my user name), Group is root. On the access Permissions part the
8 > Owner is set to "Can View Contents".
9 > If I change this to "Can View & Modify Content" and click "OK" I get an
10 > error message "Could not change permissions for /media/lomega HDD". I am
11 > on kde3.10.
12 > Their must be a way of defining default permissions for anything plugged
13 > into the usb port.
14
15 There is, but the old way, manual mounting and fstab configuration, while
16 well documented doesn't always play well with hal and automounting, and
17 the newer hal based automounting isn't as well documented -- or at least
18 isn't as well understood by us old *ix types who tend to be a bit
19 suspicious of automounting in the first place.
20
21 Note that it's also possible to use udev to arrange custom device
22 creation based on what's inserted. This at least has a reasonable level
23 of documentation associated with it, and can be used to, for instance,
24 always give your MP3 player or camera a stable device file regardless of
25 whether other thumb drives and etc are inserted before it (thus changing
26 the default device name) or not. Hal or fstab could then use that in
27 their config to allow different mounting options (or indeed whether to
28 mount by default or not) for different thumb drives and/or other USB mass
29 storage devices.
30
31 Here, I use a Label= entry in my fstab to determine how my mp3 player is
32 loaded. Of course, it's vfat not ntfs, but the same idea should be
33 usable with ntfs, I think (each of the below is all one line in fstab,
34 two here for posting, uxx and gxx are of course numeric substitutions):
35
36 ## Dev/Part/LBL MntPnt Type
37 MntOpt D F
38
39 LABEL=Siren /m/siren vfat
40 user,sync,uid=uxx,gid=gxx,noatime,nonumtail,noauto 0 0
41
42 As for hal... Naturally I have fstab entries for my dvd-writers as
43 well. They work decently in most cases, but there was a hal related bug
44 triggered by k3b at one point. After writing the image, k3b would eject
45 and re-suck (heh, what else would it be called, it's not re-insert since
46 it's pulling it in, not me pushing) the tray with the burned disk on it,
47 then verify the image. Except that when it re-sucked the tray, hal
48 interfered, trying to automount in /media as it was now a burned image,
49 and k3b couldn't access the disk in ordered to verify the image. Various
50 patches worked for some folks but broke it for others, until someone
51 mentioned turning OFF the k3b option to eject after burning that /used/
52 to be necessary. That seemed to work.
53
54 The point is, during all this I discovered that despite the fstab mount
55 entry to mount in /mnt/dvd, hal was ignoring fstab and doing its own
56 thing, trying to mount on /media/dvdname or some such. Thus the bit
57 above about hal and its automount sometimes conflicting with the
58 traditional fstab config.
59
60 If you end up with a similar hal/fstab and possibly udev involving
61 conflict, one thing you can do is simply tell the popup to do nothing,
62 and then issue the mount option manually (and of course you can create a
63 menu option to invoke a script to do that as appropriate). By issuing
64 the mount option manually (or setting up an invokable script to do it for
65 you), you can set your options to mount it the way you want, either on
66 the mount commandline or in fstab.
67
68 Surely there's a way to configure hal to do the same thing, but I don't
69 know it, and am old school enough to be a bit suspicious of its
70 automounting anyway, especially when it ignores the clearly established
71 policy in fstab(!!), so I've not bothered looking more deeply into it.
76 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman