From: Christopher O'Neill <chris@××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] M6805 keyboard detection problem
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:41:38
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Ashok Shah wrote:

> I have read quite a bit about the how bitchy eMachines M6805 laptop is. But > hey, I got one of that before I read all those comments. I am trying to > install Gentoo on my eMachines M6805 laptop. I have tried to install from > "install-amd64-universal-2004.3-r1.iso", "install-amd64-minimal-2004.3.iso", > and minimal version. I am giving the booting option pci=noacpi. It boots > perfect, but when I get a prompt I don't have any keyboard working. My > laptop keyboard doesnot work. I tried to connect USB keyboard, but that > doesnot work either.
The 6805 has a buggy BIOS. eMachines haven't botherd to fix it (last time I looked), but you can flash it with the BIOS from the 6809 and it will work fine. The 6809 BIOS also resolves the acpi issues. You should be able to find a copy of the 6809's BIOS with a bit of googling, if not give me a shout and I'll retrieve mine. As a stop gap you can try compiling the keyboard driver as a module - this seems to fix it for some bizzar reason (although you won't get the mouse working without editing some kernel code). - Chris -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list