From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Why Is Gentoo So Far Behind?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 21:51:17
1 Frank Peters wrote:
2 > Maybe I'll post some ebuilds for cooledit and nedit. These are two
3 > text editors for which I've filed bug reports and fixes, but there
4 > has been no action yet due to lack of maintainers.
5 >
6 > It may be a while though. After quickly looking through the developer's
7 > manual, I can anticipate a fair amount of study before I can write even
8 > a simple ebuild.
11 If you take the time to learn there is an option to become a
12 proxy-maintainer of a package. Essentially you would actually maintain
13 the package, but a gentoo dev would be officially responsible for it and
14 would supervise all work on it. This works well for specialized ebuilds
15 that would otherwise not be in portage, but where we have an interested
16 user. The dev that works with you would also be able to help out with
17 any sticky ebuild issues.
18
19 Keep in mind that simple ebuilds actually are fairly simple. The only
20 issue is that some packages are really picky about how they are built
21 and that can get tricky.
22
23 Also, many devs (such as me) aren't intimately familiar with every
24 eclass out there - ebuilds can do quite a bit and you can get started
25 just knowing a moderate amount of the basics. Half of the job of a dev
26 is just knowing what does and doesn't cause bigger issues so that you
27 can safely get stuff done without having to actually know everything.
28 Of course, in a proxy-maintainer relationship the proxy doesn't really
29 need to worry about this stuff since somebody else is providing some QA
30 oversight.
31
32 There are also lots of developer/staff roles in gentoo beyond just
33 maintaining packages. There are some that just do documentation work,
34 and many who focus primarily on testing/stabilizing packages. It isn't
35 for everybody, but if you have decent IT skills and a reasonably mature
36 mindset it isn't that hard to get into. More than anything you need to
37 be somebody who can be trusted - every time you run emerge you trust
38 that gentoo won't hose your system, and to make that happen we need to
39 have devs who understand basic QA and are responsible with the power
40 they wield.