From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Browsing speed problems - possibly flash related
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 23:44:58
1 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
2 5bdc1c8b0612291445h1c927ecag3cfdf19f134a6e28@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Fri, 29 Dec 2006 14:45:37 -0800:
4
5 > Note that if this was just Flash on the front page it would be no
6 > big deal. However I think there may be additional issues around the speed
7 > of Java once you log in and get inside the web site. That is what really
8 > matters and it's very slow on this machine.
9
10 What Java are you using? When I switched to Gentoo I decided I didn't
11 need Java enough to override its being proprietary, so I don't have it
12 installed here and haven't had it installed on Gentoo at all. However,
13 back on Mandrake, I noticed Java was /dreadfully/ slow at times on Linux.
14 IIRC, I was using kaffe JVM at that time and attributed it to that, but I
15 was trying to run broadbandreports.com's Java based speedtest applet, and
16 it was simply too slow executing to produce anything even /close/ to
17 reliable results.
18
19 So it may be the JVM or something Java related, rather than flash or
20 whatever.
21
22 Happily, now that Sun is GPLing Java, I should be able to merge a decent
23 and freedom software based Java one of these days. I'm looking forward
24 to it! =8^)
29 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
32 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list