From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] ntpd configuration question
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 22:51:18
I don't suppose this is the right place to ask, but I hope you won't mind
too much. Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right place, though I've been
through the extensive ntp documentation with the proverbial tooth comb but
still can't find what I need.

I'm putting a new iDEQ box to work as my replacement firewall and gateway,
and I've got as far as setting up an ntpd on it for my network to use.
Naturally, I don't want it to listen on the external interface, so I've
uncommented the appropriate lines in /etc/ntpd.conf to restrict what
addresses are listened to. All with no effect: the system log shows ntpd
listening on two wildcard addresses and, specifically, my external address,
as well as the (intended) internal one. How on earth do I get the program
to obey its own configuration declarations?

I'd prefer to use chrony, but it hasn't been ported to amd64 yet so I have
to make do with ntpd. Any clues, anyone?

--
Rgds
Peter.