From: David Fellows <fellows@×××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o, Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] ntpd configuration question
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 02:54:00
1 > I don't suppose this is the right place to ask, but I hope you won't mind
2 > too much. Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right place, though I've been
3 > through the extensive ntp documentation with the proverbial tooth comb but
4 > still can't find what I need.
5 >
6 > I'm putting a new iDEQ box to work as my replacement firewall and gateway,
7 > and I've got as far as setting up an ntpd on it for my network to use.
8 > Naturally, I don't want it to listen on the external interface, so I've
9 > uncommented the appropriate lines in /etc/ntpd.conf to restrict what
10 > addresses are listened to. All with no effect: the system log shows ntpd
11 > listening on two wildcard addresses and, specifically, my external address,
12 > as well as the (intended) internal one. How on earth do I get the program
13 > to obey its own configuration declarations?
14 >
15 > I'd prefer to use chrony, but it hasn't been ported to amd64 yet so I have
16 > to make do with ntpd. Any clues, anyone?
17 >
18 > --
19 > Rgds
20 > Peter.
21 > --
22 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
23 >
24 Following are the non-comment lines from my /etc/ntp.conf. I have changed
25 the values that define the real external server that I sync with. My guess
26 is you are missing the "restrict default ignore" line in yours. My policy is
27 for one machine to sync with the external world, but not to serve to the
28 external world. Internally other machines sync against this machine.
29 I do have firewall between the local ntp server that blocks all externally
30 initiated traffic so maybe I have a bug in my config that has never been
31 probed, but I have been using a variant of this for many years - pre-gentoo.
34 server ntp.extern.server prefer #dmf 2004-08-17
35 server 127.127.1.0 #local clock a la Fedora 2
36 fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10 #a la Fedora 2
39 driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
43 restrict default ignore
46 restrict 127.0.0.1 # allow local control
49 restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap #allow local network machines to sync to us
50 restrict 999.888.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 nomodify #so we can sync with external server
51
52 Dave F
55 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list