From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Outside of portage (was Re: [gentoo-amd64] Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 00:03:31
On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Barry Schwartz
<chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
> Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> skribis: >> Out of habit, I still use the kernel sources from kernel.org. > > This makes me curious what other people are using from outside of > Portage. I install Grub outside of Portage, on the grounds that (a) it > is a bad thing to upgrade unless you have to; and (b) the Grub 2 > ebuilds were broken anyway, and I didn’t want to switch back to Grub 1 > when moving from Exherbo back to Gentoo. So I used the default GNU > install procedure in /usr/local. If the machine boots, the machine > boots, and I’m satisfied. > > (I also use only package.use and not make.conf for use flags, a habit > picked up from using Paludis, and recently got rid of package.mask and > use package.accepted_keywords for all my masking. Lots of redundancy > in Portage these days, maybe a bit too much.)
I only install things outside of portage into my home directory (pretending like I don't have root access), or very rarely install a single binary into /usr/local/bin. For anything else I'll make my own ebuild (or try to, anyway) and put it in my local overlay.