From: Nathan Smith <ndansmith@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-bsd@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-bsd] G/FBSD TCP Troubles
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 23:20:13
1 For those of you hanging out in #gentoo-bsd, you've probably heard some
2 about my TCP problem on my Gentoo/FreeBSD box. I discovered the problem
3 because I was not able to checkout the Sunrise overlay. At first I
4 thought it was a problem with SVN, but I realized that I simply cannot
5 make TCP connections to certain sites.
6
7 Then I suspected a proxy problem, but I had the same issues both at home
8 (no proxy) and at work (transparent proxy), and other Gentoo boxes at
9 both sites worked just fine.
10
11 What is really frustrating is its inconsistency. I can never connect to
12 gentoo-sunrise.org, but at work two of the servers in the distfiles.g.o
13 rotation were also inaccessible, as well as packages.gentoo.org (and a
14 fair share of other random sites).
15
16 JoseJX suggested that it may be related to TCP windowing, so I did some
17 Googling and found the following:
18
19 http://lwn.net/Articles/92727/ <- An article on how this problem played
20 out in Linux.
21
22 http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2007-January/019070.html
23 <- As described in the FreeBSD mailing list.
24
25 The sysctl workaround described in the FreeBSD mailing list does not fix
26 my problem. Also The_Paya suggested a packet-filter approach which has
27 not worked as of yet.
28
29 So anyhow, I am making due, but it is a frustrating problem to say the
30 least. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :-)
34 Nathan Smith
35 ndansmith@×××××.com
36 --
37 gentoo-bsd@g.o mailing list