From: Ot Ratsaphong <ot@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-bsd@l.g.o
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:47:23
1 martin hudec wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 08:55:12AM +1000 or thereabouts, Ot Ratsaphong wrote:
5 >
6 >>I have been an intermittent Gentoo user for about 2 years and am now interested in exploring BSD.
7 >>I have tried FreesBie, DesktopBSD and PC-BSD, but would like to try Gentoo/BSD mainly because I miss the ease of Portage.
10 > Freesbie is excellent live distro, but.. may I ask you - in what terms
11 > is Portage better for you? Is there someting in ports system that does
12 > not meet your needs? Just asking :), because I was thinking that
13 > Portage is inspired in ports.
14 >
15 I like Portage because it is easy to use. I also like its logical
16 command syntax.
17
18 I guess I am in the process of evaluating the various flavours of BSD
19 (DesktopBSD, PCBSD and GentooBSD) and the various methods of installing
20 applications.
21
22 Being a Gentoo user, I am naturally curious to see what advantages
23 Portage might offer over the Ports system in the BSD world.
24
25 Although DesktopBSD and PC-BSD both offer their own tools for installing
26 software, I have found that it just as easy to use the traditional Ports
27 system to install software :)
30 gentoo-bsd@g.o mailing list