From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] GRP SUN-JRE Package
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 15:09:11
1 On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 15:40 +0100, Heiko Kopp wrote:
2 > Hello again,
3 >
4 > Am 07.12.2005 13:49 Uhr schrieb "Chris Gianelloni" unter
5 > <wolf31o2@g.o>:
6 >
7 > > On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 13:04 +0100, Heiko Kopp wrote:
8 > >> Hello,
9 > >>
10 > >> im currently trying to build a GRP SUN-JRE Package (in detail by the use of
11 > >> GNAT). The problem is, that catalyst seems to have problems with ebuilds
12 > >> creating files during the src_unpack() phase as the package
13 > >
14 > > Here is the problem.
15 > >
16 > > src_* is *not* processed by portage during package installation. This
17 > > is a portage feature, and will probably never be changed.
18 >
19 > actually this confuses me a bit, cause how would the package installation
20 > process know about a file install.sfx when it does not process this
21 > function? When normally installing the sun-jre or the sun-jdk with a present
22 > file in /usr/portage/distfiles everything works as expected.
23
24 This has nothing to do with catalyst. This is how portage works.
25
26 Portage, when building a package, processes all functions. When
27 installing a pre-built package, it only processes the pkg_* functions.
28 If you have a file that is not installed during the src_install
29 function, it will not be present in the binary package. Only files that
30 are installed into ${D} during src_install will ever show up in a binary
31 package. Without investigating this particular package itself, I can't
32 tell you exactly what is going on here, but it sounds to me like the
33 package is not binpkg-friendly. There are actually lots of packages
34 where this is the case in the tree, since most people don't use binary
35 packages with Gentoo.
36
37 > Sorry for asking again, but Catalyst is way above my understanding currently
38 > :-)
39
40 No problem, but none of this has anything to do with catalyst, really.
43 Chris Gianelloni
44 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
45 x86 Architecture Team
46 Games - Developer