From: Mikey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Couple of questions
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:42:09
1 On Wednesday 14 December 2005 12:42, Chris Gianelloni spammed:
2
3 > Instead of wasting all the time of building your own stage3 just to
4 > build a stage1, use stage3-x86-2005.1-r1.tar.bz2 and build your stage1
5 > from this. Building a stage1 will *always* be up-to-date to what is in
6 > your snapshot. No files from the stage3 are actually put into the
7
8 Well, I will have to argue with you on this point. It is important to me
9 that the toolchain is compiled against itself. Catching weird toolchain
10 errors on down the road in a production environment is not my idea of fun.
11 I suppose I will repeat the use of the word anal again...
14 > You cannot set USE flags for your lower stages. You will need to create
15 > a profile. The USE flags *must* match what is in the profile.
16
17 Lower stages being 1-3? During which stage are USE flags intended to be
18 used with catalyst?
19
20 > Well, stage2/use is invalid and ignored. Also, stage3/use is invalid
21 > and ignored. You do not change the USE in stages 1 through 3. Period.
22 > To make changes to these stages, you need to make a new profile with
23 > your changes. This could either be done via editing your portage tree
24 > before making the snapshot, or as portdir_overlay in each spec file. No
25 > hand-editing is ever required.
26
27 What about stage4? If I want to build snapshots with nptl, userlocales, and
28 -nls, for example, I have to use a stage4?
29
30 On the bug I submitted yesterday. I just completed a stage1 -> stage2 ->
31 stage3 -> stage1 cycle, using no environment script, no USE flags, no
32 optimizations, the same thing happens. It attempts to emerge glibc before
33 linux-headers, glibc looks for the headers in stage1root, they don't exist,
34 so it bombs....