From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Couple of questions
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 18:45:15
1 On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 09:51 -0600, Mikey wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 14 December 2005 09:03, Chris Gianelloni spammed:
3 >
4 > > Using a seed with only python 2.4 is the proper solution. If you do not
5 > > have such a seed, build a stage4 tarball with only python in it with
6 > > your new snapshot. You can use a 2005.1-r1 stage3 as your seed. Have
7 > > the stage4 run python-updater in your fsscript. You can then use this
8 > > updated stage4 as your seed for building stage1.
9 >
10 > Python will be automatically upgraded at stage3, which means that catalyst
11 > is creating a stage3 with both versions of python. Actually both versions
12 > of anything that might be slotted during that build of the stage3 target.
13 > Call me anal but that seems to be a rather poor state to leave it in.
14 > Regardless, the functionality provided by the stage4 fsscript is a
15 > workaround...
16
17 OK. I'm going to list the proper process for creating "clean" stages.
18
19 > Perhaps I am wanting catalyst to do something that it is not intended to
20 > do, maybe you can clarify for me.
21 >
22 > I want to be able to create clean, pristine, generic x86 stage1s with the
23 > current toolchain to use as my seed for subsequent builds. From mistakes I
24 > have been making and what you have been telling me, I am going to assume
25 > the following is the correct way to do this?
26
27 It isn't. I'll answer in-line.
28
29 > Create a stage1 seed to use for future stage2s
30
31 Yes and no. You will want to create a stage1, but not in any way that
32 you have described.
33
34 > 1) Use an unaltered stage1-x86-2005.0-r1.tar.bz2 from gentoo with a generic
35 > spec file, no changes in anything, only specify the source and snapshot, to
36 > create a stage2. This will create a stage2 with the current gcc, binutils,
37 > glibc, etc...
38
39 This is unnecessary.
40
41 > 2) Use the resulting stage2, with no customizations, to create a stage3.
42
43 Again, unnecessary.
44
45 > 3) Use the resulting stage3 to create a new stage1, which would now contain
46 > the updated toolchain.
47
48 Instead of wasting all the time of building your own stage3 just to
49 build a stage1, use stage3-x86-2005.1-r1.tar.bz2 and build your stage1
50 from this. Building a stage1 will *always* be up-to-date to what is in
51 your snapshot. No files from the stage3 are actually put into the
52 stage1 tarball, so it can be older than your snapshot. This is how we
53 build newer Gentoo releases.
54
55 > Use my new stage1 to create my customized stage2/3s
56
57 Correct.
58
59 > 1) Use the stage1 seed created above, create spec file for stage2 with my
60 > cflags, chost, cxxflags, and (where do use flags fit in)?
61
62 You cannot set USE flags for your lower stages. You will need to create
63 a profile. The USE flags *must* match what is in the profile.
64
65 > 2) Use the new stage2 to create a stage3, I am assuming the cflags, chost,
66 > cxxflags, and use flags will migrate from the stage2 via the
67 > catalyst-generated make.conf and need no alteration?
68
69 Correct. These come from the seed stage for stages 1 and 3 (under _rc9
70 and up).
71
72 > I am a little confused about where my USE preferences need to be applied and
73 > how they migrate from stage2 -> stage3 -> stage4. Would they go in the
74 > stage2 spec file with stage2/use, or a env script, or would I need to hand
75 > edit the stage2 make.conf before using it? Afterwards, will I ever need to
76 > change the USE flags again for that particular release?
77
78 Well, stage2/use is invalid and ignored. Also, stage3/use is invalid
79 and ignored. You do not change the USE in stages 1 through 3. Period.
80 To make changes to these stages, you need to make a new profile with
81 your changes. This could either be done via editing your portage tree
82 before making the snapshot, or as portdir_overlay in each spec file. No
83 hand-editing is ever required.
86 Chris Gianelloni
87 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
88 x86 Architecture Team