From: Bardur Arantsson <spam@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] Re: Catalyst 2.0 weirdness
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:40:23
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 07:13 -0500, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
3 >> Bardur Arantsson wrote:
4 >>> Paste
5 >>> http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-catalyst%40lists.gentoo.org/msg00395.html
6 >>>
7 >>>
8 >>> into your TODO file.
9 >> It probably took you more time to find that URL than it would have to file a
10 >> bug. Why do users have such an aversion to filing bugs?
11 >
12 > Probably for the same reason developers don't keep stupid TODO lists and
13 > use a bug tracker to track issues like this. Personal preference.
14 >
15 > As you are well aware, if it isn't in a bug, I won't remember it.
16
17 I know how you feel. I'm afflicted with the same problem.
18
19 > I don't keep a TODO of any kind, as bugzilla does this for me. Why should
20 > I have to duplicate functionality that's already there? It takes only a
21 > minute or two to sign up for an account. No more than it takes to sign
22 > up for a mailing list.
23
24 Personally, I usually do like to keep a TODO list for my projects so I
25 can paste random stuff like URLs or snippets of e-mails into merely as a
26 "service to my users" if you will. However, like you say Catalyst isn't
27 really a project which exists for the user's sakes as such, so I can
28 certainly understand that you wouldn't want to make things more
29 complicated for yourself than absolutely necessary.
30
31 I'll shut up in a minute, but just a minor point: In my development
32 projects (both commercial and noncommercial) I've found that the best
33 way to avoid getting bug reports is to just consistently say "file a bug
34 report" whenever someone wants to report a bug. I'm not really sure why
35 that is; maybe it has something to do with a perception -- however
36 imagined or real it may be -- that all bug reporting systems are clunky
37 and annoying. Certainly bugzilla is _reasonable_ when compared to some
38 other systems, but it really doesn't compare to email when looking
39 solely at the "ease of reporting a bug" metric. From personal experience
40 I know that I'm about 1000 times more likely to file a bug if all I have
41 to do is send an email somewhere. Otherwise it just *feels* like I'm
42 doing work that a computer should be doing.
43
44 Cheers,
47 Bardur Arantsson
48 <bardurREMOVE@×××××××××××××××.net>