From: Mikey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Couple of questions
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 14:49:52
1 On Thursday 15 December 2005 07:34, Chris Gianelloni spammed:
2
3 > It is a bug in the snapshot/tree, as I stated in bug #115445. I'm
4 > almost getting tired of explaining things seeing as how I have to do it
5 > multiple times. Rather than me repeating myself, please read each
6 > message a few times instead? ;P
7
8 > know will not work as expected. We are not stupid. We have been
9 > working with portage and Gentoo for a long time and know what is and is
10 > not possible quite well by now.
11
12 As I am tired of repeating over and over that something is wrong with the
13 stage1 target and all you seem to be able to do is blame me. It only took
14 me 5 freaking times to explain something was wrong. So hey, you are not
15 the only one who gets tired of repeating shit to thick headed people. My
16 snapshot version was right there in the spec files I posted, a simple 20
17 minute test on your part would have confirmed the bug. Apparently you
18 portage people are not as smart as you would like me to believe, portage
19 has its share of bugs and rarely behaves consistently. I have been
20 compiling linux from source for over 12 years, I happen to know a little
21 bit about what I am talking about as well. Probably not as much as you
22 know about gentoo, but hey, I can recognize an obvious glaring problem when
23 I see it.
24
25 If you would have looked at what I posted in my bug report you would find a
26 myriad of bugs. Catalyst let me do things it is not supposed to do, like
27 use a subarch during stage1 when it shouldn't. Emerge told you it was
28 going to install packages in a certain order, yet it didn't (not your bug).
29 For some reason, baselayout was missing from the packages that were going
30 to be installed, even though catalyst asked for it to be installed. You
31 indicate that usage of an envscript in catalyst.conf is normal usage, but
32 fail to inform the user NOT to use USE flags in there or it will break
33 something (that should be handled by catalyst). You tell me catalyst is
34 designed to not allow customization in the lower stages, then tell me the
35 bug is invalid because I tried customization in lower stages.
36
37 But hey, I am sure it is a winning strategy to just treat all of your
38 debuggers like they are idiots.
39
40 > Because making changes outside of the scope of the profile is broken.
41 > It produces an inconsistent stage, since the USE flags passed via an
42 > envscript *never* see the inside of make.conf, giving you a stage that
43 > *will not* behave as you expect it to. Why leave this option available
44 > when it is *obviously* misunderstood and causes errors? You have proven
45 > here exactly *why* the option is not there.
46
47 Gee, listen to what you are saying. Using USE flags in stage2 and beyond is
48 broken and produces inconsistent stages. I would say that is a major
49 problem that needs to be fixed before anything else, considering it is the
50 most basic functionality that sets gentoo apart from all other linux
51 distributions. Stage2 ignores improper use flags via bootstrap.sh, stage3
52 should be able to handle whatever use flag you throw at it, portage itself
53 should be able to handle that. So what is the problem with letting
54 catalyst generate the use flags and put them into the make.conf right along
55 with the cflags, mirrors, etc? Don't worry, it is a rhetorical question.
56
57 > > nls, userlocales, nptl, nptlonly, multilib I think, and runs with
58 > > USE="-* build bootstrap allowed_flags", so why the restriction from
59 > > using nptl and
60 >
61 > There is no such restriction, as stated over and over and over and over
62 > again. Use a profile to make these changes.
63
64 I see, using USE flags in the profile is not broken, letting the user
65 specify USE flags anywhere else is. Encouraging users to dork around with
66 the profile is a good idea, set USE flags bad idea. Brilliant.
67 Particularly when you consider the fact that you can build "safe" USE flags
68 into catalyst just like you build in "safe" cflags. Which, by the way, are
69 deprecated for gcc 3.4.4...
70
71 > No, you're being dense, rather. I have explained it. You just seem to
72 > dislike my answer. Stages 2 and 3 must match the profile or they will
73 > not install properly in all cases. Period.
74
75 Then something needs to be fixed, because the underlying process is broken.
76 It needs to be the USE flags that match, it shouldn't matter where they
77 come from. Catalyst is not producing consistent results right now in spite
78 of locking it down to the profile. Locking catalyst down to extremely
79 narrow functionality because portage might break at any moment is a shame,
80 because it is a great tool.
81
82 But I just don't buy your explanation, USE flags are calculated the same way
83 regardless of where you put them, in the profile or the environment. The
84 precedence might change, but they are still calculated the same way. If I
85 create a profile and take out nls, catalyst should handle it the exact same
86 way as if I stuck it in the environment....
87
88 > Then I wouldn't accept them. Catalyst is modular. You're more than
89 > welcome to replace any of the scripts to do things the way you want
90
91 I don't think it is catalyst that is broken, but catalyst can be used to
92 insure consistent results. Simple things like install the toolchain in the
93 proper order instead of using multi-package emerge statements that might or
94 might not work correctly depending on what day of the week it is...
95
96 > them. Just don't come asking us for help when you do things that we
97 > know will not work as expected. We are not stupid. We have been
98 > working with portage and Gentoo for a long time and know what is and is
99 > not possible quite well by now.
100
101 Did I say you were stupid? And after this little experience, _I_ would be
102 the stupid one for asking for help, as long as this is the response I get.