From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Couple of questions
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:49:14
1 On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 16:20 -0600, Mikey wrote:
2 > > No, you do what I said and make a profile. I am honestly getting a
3 > > little frustrated with having to repeat this. With a proper profile,
4 > > you can have a stage2/stage3 with nptl. It isn't possible to have a
5 > > stage1 with nptl on x86, since nptl isn't ported to i386 CHOST. Look at
6 > > default-linux/x86/dev/2006.0 as a good example, as we're using nptl by
7 > > default there.
8 >
9 > Is stage4 ok with nptl in the USE flags? Or am I going to HAVE to go the
10 > profile route to get nptl? You can't stick nptl in the profile and expect
11 > generic x86 arch builds to work, unless the chost was changed...
12
13 *Only* if stage4 is your final target. As for nptl, it is 100% safe
14 even with CHOST=i386 because glibc ignores it. Also, don't set
15 STAGE1_USE="nptl"... If you would look at the example that I told youto,
16 you would realize this.
17
18 > It is still broken. I won't bother to file any more bug reports about it.
19 > You can try building a stage1-x86 from the stage3-x86 yourself if you want
20 > to verify, or you can wait for a release to break, or whatever. It keeps
21 > trying to install glibc in /tmp/stage1root, before linux-headers, and the
22 > glibc build keeps looking for those headers to be present
23 > in /tmp/stage1root. The weird thing about it is that before the actual
24 > emerge start it indicates the headers will be installed first, then
25 > proceeds to do glibc before. Maybe it is a circular dependency, I don't
26 > know. I am sick of screwing with it, I just mounted everything and
27 > installed the headers into /tmp/stage1root and resumed. Maybe it is just a
28 > bug somewhere in the snapshot from 20051205, I don't know. I give up.
29
30 It is a bug in the snapshot/tree, as I stated in bug #115445. I'm
31 almost getting tired of explaining things seeing as how I have to do it
32 multiple times. Rather than me repeating myself, please read each
33 message a few times instead? ;P
34
35 The issue is something with the tree that is being investigated. I was
36 unable to reproduce it because I am using an older snapshot for my
37 builds. I also mentioned this in the aforementioned bug. I guess you
38 missed it.
39
40 > > Unfortunately, in many cases, catalyst is a "fix it yourself"
41 > > application. If it doesn't break our release-building, it is reduced in
42 > > priority, as catalyst is first and foremost our release-building tool.
43 >
44 > Just out of curiosity, WHY is it designed to be so inflexible as far as use
45 > flags in stage2? The bootstrap.sh in stage2 strips all use flags except
46
47 Because making changes outside of the scope of the profile is broken.
48 It produces an inconsistent stage, since the USE flags passed via an
49 envscript *never* see the inside of make.conf, giving you a stage that
50 *will not* behave as you expect it to. Why leave this option available
51 when it is *obviously* misunderstood and causes errors? You have proven
52 here exactly *why* the option is not there.
53
54 > nls, userlocales, nptl, nptlonly, multilib I think, and runs with USE="-*
55 > build bootstrap allowed_flags", so why the restriction from using nptl and
56
57 There is no such restriction, as stated over and over and over and over
58 again. Use a profile to make these changes.
59
60 > such in the stage2 via catalyst? And stage3 for that matter. I am not
61 > trying to be facetious here, I am just wondering what the reasoning behind
62 > the design is...
63
64 No, you're being dense, rather. I have explained it. You just seem to
65 dislike my answer. Stages 2 and 3 must match the profile or they will
66 not install properly in all cases. Period.
67
68 > > Patches are always welcome, however.
69 >
70 > Believe me, you wouldn't like what patches I would have in mind :)
71
72 Then I wouldn't accept them. Catalyst is modular. You're more than
73 welcome to replace any of the scripts to do things the way you want
74 them. Just don't come asking us for help when you do things that we
75 know will not work as expected. We are not stupid. We have been
76 working with portage and Gentoo for a long time and know what is and is
77 not possible quite well by now.
80 Chris Gianelloni
81 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
82 x86 Architecture Team