From: Mikey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Couple of questions
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:26:23
1 On Wednesday 14 December 2005 15:27, Chris Gianelloni spammed:
2
3 > > > You cannot set USE flags for your lower stages. You will need to
4 > > > create a profile. The USE flags *must* match what is in the profile.
5
6 Understood, finally.
7
8 > Correct. Only stage4 is safe for changing USE flags.
9 >
10 > No, you do what I said and make a profile. I am honestly getting a
11 > little frustrated with having to repeat this. With a proper profile,
12 > you can have a stage2/stage3 with nptl. It isn't possible to have a
13 > stage1 with nptl on x86, since nptl isn't ported to i386 CHOST. Look at
14 > default-linux/x86/dev/2006.0 as a good example, as we're using nptl by
15 > default there.
16
17 Is stage4 ok with nptl in the USE flags? Or am I going to HAVE to go the
18 profile route to get nptl? You can't stick nptl in the profile and expect
19 generic x86 arch builds to work, unless the chost was changed...
20
21 > I have no way of guaranteeing that the stages you made are good. Please
22 > follow the instructions I sent in my last email for your builds, as
23 > there is no way for me to verify anything other than the recommended
24 > procedures. Use a known good stage3 tarball as a stage1 seed. At that
25 > point, you don't need to rebuild stage1. Basically, to duplicate what
26 > you have done you would need: stage3 -> stage1 -> stage2 -> stage3
27 > (remember that the stage3 *must* be generic to build a stage1) ->
28 > stage1.
29
30 Just did, with a stage3-x86-2005.1-r1, this time with a correct subarch :)
31 Hah hah, can't slip anything by you, can I!
32
33 It is still broken. I won't bother to file any more bug reports about it.
34 You can try building a stage1-x86 from the stage3-x86 yourself if you want
35 to verify, or you can wait for a release to break, or whatever. It keeps
36 trying to install glibc in /tmp/stage1root, before linux-headers, and the
37 glibc build keeps looking for those headers to be present
38 in /tmp/stage1root. The weird thing about it is that before the actual
39 emerge start it indicates the headers will be installed first, then
40 proceeds to do glibc before. Maybe it is a circular dependency, I don't
41 know. I am sick of screwing with it, I just mounted everything and
42 installed the headers into /tmp/stage1root and resumed. Maybe it is just a
43 bug somewhere in the snapshot from 20051205, I don't know. I give up.
44
45 > Unfortunately, in many cases, catalyst is a "fix it yourself"
46 > application. If it doesn't break our release-building, it is reduced in
47 > priority, as catalyst is first and foremost our release-building tool.
48
49 Just out of curiosity, WHY is it designed to be so inflexible as far as use
50 flags in stage2? The bootstrap.sh in stage2 strips all use flags except
51 nls, userlocales, nptl, nptlonly, multilib I think, and runs with USE="-*
52 build bootstrap allowed_flags", so why the restriction from using nptl and
53 such in the stage2 via catalyst? And stage3 for that matter. I am not
54 trying to be facetious here, I am just wondering what the reasoning behind
55 the design is...
56
57 > Patches are always welcome, however.
58
59 Believe me, you wouldn't like what patches I would have in mind :)