From: Georg Lippold <georg.lippold@×××.de>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] LiveCD UNIONFS overlay
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 18:51:21
1 Okay, I know it's very low on your priority list, but I figured out
2 something new ;)
3
4 How about scanning for the partition that shall be used for the initrd?
5 It could be done with unionfs=scan and that wouldn't break compatibility
6 for genkernel. I studied the UnionFS's scripts a bit longer and found
7 that the file livecd.unionfs must exist on the partition that shall be
8 used as rw-device for unionfs. Now it's easy to scan for it, just
9 include the following function to
10 /usr/share/genkernel/generic/initrd.scripts:
11
12 find_unionfs(){
13 local FS
14 goodmsg "Scanning for filesystem with file /livecd.unionfs"
15 mkdir -p /union
16 FS=`blkid -c /dev/null | cut -d: -f1`
17 # find filesystem on blockdevice containing file livecd.unionfs
18 for i in ${FS}
19 do
20 mount -t auto ${i} /union
21 if [ -f /union/livecd.uinonfs ]
22 then
23 goodmsg "Found filesystem $i"
24 UNIONFS=${i}
25 umount /union
26 break
27 else
28 umount /union
29 fi
30 done
31 rmdir /union
32 }
33
34 then the function setup_unionfs() just needs a little patch at the
35 beginning:
36
37 setup_unionfs(){
38 if [ "${UNIONFS}" = "scan" ]
39 then
40 find_unionfs
41 fi
42
43 You say it's known to be broken, what else needs to be fixed besides bug
44 99682 (and that is already resolved, as it seems)? I currently have the
45 strange feeling, that unionctl is not copied to the initrd of the
46 livecd, as it was not found when I booted from a CD made with 'genkernel
47 --unionfs'. I tried to extract the file isolinux/gentoo.igz from the
48 cdrom to check, but I didn't get all of it's contents, as it seems.
49 'gunzip -c gentoo.igz | cpio -i' has only this content:
50
51 ./dev
52 ./dev/console
53 ./dev/null
54 ./dev/tty1
55 ./bin
56 ./etc
57 ./etc/fstab
58 ./usr
59 ./usr/bin
60 ./usr/sbin
61 ./proc
62 ./temp
63 ./sys
64 ./var
65 ./var/lock
66 ./var/lock/dmraid
67 ./sbin
68
69 But the file has extracted ~17 MB... Mounting it with -o loop didn't
70 succeed either, but maybe I'm not having the right FS in my kernel. Can
71 you help me on this?
72
73 For me this feature is very important, and I would be willing to
74 maintain the unionfs of the LiveCD, if it helps you having more time.
75
76 Greetings,
77
78 Georg