From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] LiveCD UNIONFS overlay
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:01:51
1 On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 20:50 +0200, Georg Lippold wrote:
2
3 Make a patch and file a bug for the scanning. Same with the changes
4 from your last email.
5
6 > You say it's known to be broken, what else needs to be fixed besides bug
7 > 99682 (and that is already resolved, as it seems)? I currently have the
8
9 Well, unionfs "support" was added as a proof of concept by one of the
10 developers in very little time. It was in a "works for me" state then,
11 and hasn't really been touched since. If you're willing to provide
12 patches, then I don't see why they wouldn't be included, we just aren't
13 going to spend *our* time doing development on it right now until we can
14 get some more pressing bugs resolved.
15
16 > strange feeling, that unionctl is not copied to the initrd of the
17 > livecd, as it was not found when I booted from a CD made with 'genkernel
18 > --unionfs'. I tried to extract the file isolinux/gentoo.igz from the
19 > cdrom to check, but I didn't get all of it's contents, as it seems.
20 > 'gunzip -c gentoo.igz | cpio -i' has only this content:
21
22 There is no initrd. It is an initramfs. It also is a concatenation of
23 multiple cpio archives, so you can't just extract one and expect it to
24 work. You're only getting the "base" cpio image. The best way to look
25 into them is to look into the caches that genkernel makes when creating
26 the initramfs. I know that rocket knows of a way to actually work out
27 the extraction, but to make it simple, you're only extracting the first
28 cpio archive of many.
29
30 > But the file has extracted ~17 MB... Mounting it with -o loop didn't
31 > succeed either, but maybe I'm not having the right FS in my kernel. Can
32 > you help me on this?
33
34 It isn't a file-system, so it cannot be mounted.
35
36 > For me this feature is very important, and I would be willing to
37 > maintain the unionfs of the LiveCD, if it helps you having more time.
38
39 Well, the main thing is providing patches. Even better would be to
40 watch genkernel@g.o on bugzilla, and file patches for any bugs
41 that people find regarding unionfs. From what you're telling me, it
42 sounds like it might be 90% there, and just needs the last 10% to make
43 it work right. If that's the case, then it shouldn't be a problem
44 getting the proper support into genkernel. Right now, we just don't
45 want to touch it, though we'll gladly accept patches. ;]
48 Chris Gianelloni
50 Games - Developer
51 Gentoo Linux