From: Eric Thibodeau <kyron@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-cluster] Gentoo Clustering LiveCD/DVD (Google SoC 2008 project)
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 14:38:02
1 Hello all,
2
3 As some of you may already know, I am working on a clustering
4 livedvd. Although a livecvd is flashy and all, my efforts are geared
5 towards making ebuilds and meta-ebuilds that ease setting up a freshly
6 installed stage3 system into a Master Beowulf server with
7 PXE+tftp+NFSroot booted nodes. My progressing work is available on the
8 unofficial Gentoo overlay server (http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/
9 , direct link being:
10 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/clustering-livecd.git;a=summary).
11 Everything needed to create the livedvd as well as the NFSroot images
12 (notably catalyst specs and custom ebuilds) is available there. I also
13 make the resulting/progressing work available in my personal web server
14 http://wiki.neuralbs.com/~kyron/soc2008/ but, please, don't download the
15 iso image unless you've asked me first since it's not complete work and
16 is not "functional" per say (the current image does not contain the
17 node's nfsroot and the auto-configuration scripts are still being worked on)
18
19 So, this means it's now the perfect time to send me your wish list.
20 Since we're all interested in seeing Gentoo "sell" as a powerful
21 platform for HPC, it would be nice if some of you could give me good
22 examples of apps that give some nice "marketable" GUI results ;) as well
23 as more seriously used HPC apps (less the marketing fluff).
24
25 Apart from the wish list, I think a custom theme would also be nice.
26 So a bootsplah, I heard that _really_ sells with the CEOs, as well as
27 some other nifty fb stuff would be willingly integrated into the livedvd ;)
28
29 That's it for now, just wanted to make an official thread since I seem
30 to have forgotten to do so ;)
31
32 Eric Thibodeau (aka kyron on freenode.net)
33 --
34 gentoo-cluster@l.g.o mailing list