From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] What happened to the gentoo cluster project?
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 19:53:04
1 On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 11:34, Brian D. Ropers-Huilman wrote:
2 > Perhaps one aspect of this list, just to get things perked up a bit,
3 > could be a discussion of adding to the Gentoo HPC How-To. I think this
4 > is a great first start, but it is very, very basic. The biggest part of
5 > managing clusters is managing them _as_ a cluster: log collection, node
6 > monitoring and event reporting, cluster node rebuilds, software
7 > management, user management, high-performance filesystems, compiler
8 > management, user environment management and updates, backups, and the like.
9
10 Yeah, I was thinking about adding some stuff on C3 [1] once I got a
11 chance to play around with it a bit. I haven't used Ganglia, but perhaps
12 someone else has?
13
14 There are a few other nice docs around that haven't made it to our
15 website yet, including:
16 http://www.brianandsara.net/gentoo/docs/fs-selection-guide.php
17 http://www.brianandsara.net/gentoo/docs/heartbeat-howto.php
18 http://www.brianandsara.net/gentoo/docs/keepalived-howto.php
19
20 I'd like someone to put some info together on using systemimager in a
21 cluster setting, once it gets back into portage.
22
23 Something else that needs to be done is for people to check out the
24 tools Rocks/OSCAR have and whether they can be used in Gentoo natively
25 or ported to it.
26
27 What _really_ needs to happen with the HPC howto is turning it into a
28 sort of index page for setting up a cluster, with links to the specific
29 subsections. Perhaps handbook format would be more appropriate.
30
31 > With the extreme flexibility Gentoo offers, it would be impossible to
32 > discuss all of the possibilities for all of what I mention above.
33 > However, picking current best-of-breed applications and adding them to
34 > this document would add value to the project.
35
36 Agreed, but someone needs to commit the time to do the adding. People
37 interested in and good at writing documentation are few and far between.
38
39 Thanks,
40 Donnie
41