From: Jordan Dawe <jdawe@××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Gentoo clustering "à la" www.clustermatic.org (PXE booted nodes)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 18:25:45
1 >In any case, we're getting Off Topic, I wanna make this a Gentoo Kluster (C)
2 >(one may inster Kick Ass somewhere in there :P ). Moreover, I am _mandated_
3 >to do this as part of my masters _and_ document this.... Document which I
4 >will of course make available to the Gentoo community. I'm almost thinking of
5 >looking onto either an ebuild or even a special "profile" for making the
6 >node's ROOT image (with a modified baselayout)....
7 >
8 >So, as always, if anyone can help out in either pointing to documents or
9 >sharing experience, I would be more than glad to put this together and really
10 >put Gentoo on the HPC map.
13 I tried to bang together something like this while I was building a
14 cluster for our department. It's real tricky though, especially if you
15 don't want to mount root over NFS--and mounting root over NFS always
16 seems like a huge amount of overhead to me. I was able to get a second
17 box booting off tftp and mounting filesystems across nfs, but I didn't
18 have any idea how to set about making a boot image and transmitting that
19 to a ramdisk to boot off of.
20
21 Have you checked out warewulf? It's quite good; a complete ramdisk
22 based cluster setup package. I switched to it after failing with
23 gentoo. If I was going to approach this project, I would rip warewulf
24 apart and see how they do what they do. Warewulf is RPM based, but it
25 should be easy to convert a lot of the RPM steps in warewulf to
26 ebuilds. Then you could make an ebuild to generate the ramdisk image,
27 like warewulf does. In any case, Warewulf has solved a lot of these
28 problems in a different context; check it out.
29
30 http://www.warewulf-cluster.org/cgi-bin/trac.cgi
31
32 It also has tools to manage a cluster, observe processess on the nodes,
33 etc. I'm really, really happy with it, except for the "not working with
34 gentoo" part of it.
35
36 Jordan
39 gentoo-cluster@g.o mailing list