From: Eric Thibodeau <kyron@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Gentoo clustering "à la" www.clustermatic.org (PXE booted nodes)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 15:05:52
1 Le 20 Novembre 2005 00:22, Stéphane Lacasse a écrit :
2 > Checkout Adélie Linux, which is based on Gentoo. AFAIK, they require
3 > that you customize a stock Gentoo install. Be warned that they provide
4 > very few (if any) support.
5
6 They actually provide nothing, seem to be inactive and are most probably
7 "controlled" by Cyberlogic, which is a commercial clustering service (this
8 smells like an open source project gone closed...).
9
10 > For this reason I way prefer Rocks Cluster
11 > that is really a breeze to install, but they do not have the bootp
12 > paradigm...
13
14 Which comes back to my original post that started the thred. I wat to make an
15 entirely _Gentoo_ based cluster. A good reason for this is that Gentoo
16 well...is Gentoo, don't want/need to start the philosophical debate on why
17 Gentoo is better than RHE(WS), CentOS and all on which Rocks is based...
18
19 > each node is a full image on it's own, but managmenet is
20 > centralized thrue the headnode.
21
22 O_o.... now _that_ is something I would call inefficient. I can't immagine a
23 1024 node cluster running off 1024 images stored on one server.
24
25 In any case, we're getting Off Topic, I wanna make this a Gentoo Kluster (C)
26 (one may inster Kick Ass somewhere in there :P ). Moreover, I am _mandated_
27 to do this as part of my masters _and_ document this.... Document which I
28 will of course make available to the Gentoo community. I'm almost thinking of
29 looking onto either an ebuild or even a special "profile" for making the
30 node's ROOT image (with a modified baselayout)....
31
32 So, as always, if anyone can help out in either pointing to documents or
33 sharing experience, I would be more than glad to put this together and really
34 put Gentoo on the HPC map.
35
36 Eric
39 gentoo-cluster@g.o mailing list