From: Josh England <jjengla@××××××.gov>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Gentoo vs RedHat cluster
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:27:07
1 Have you tried using oneSIS for going diskless?
2
3 emerge -va onesis
4
5 Check out http://onesis.org for more info.
6
7 -JE
8
9 On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 15:04 -0400, Simon-Nicolas Roth wrote:
10 > Hi,
11 >
12 > A small introduction:
13 > We currently own 2 small clusters. One with 42 opteron diskless nodes (adelie
14 > gentoo linux) and another one with 24 pentium 4 diskless nodes (based on
15 > Kyron's wiki http://wiki.neuralbs.com/index.php/Gentoo_Diskless_Client).
16 >
17 > We have seen a nice upgrade in perfomance when we changed the 24 nodes cluster
18 > from Redhat to Gentoo.
19 >
20 > The question:
21 > We are in discussion to make a cluster with around 1024 nodes for parallel
22 > scientific computing. I want to convince that Gentoo would be better on this
23 > cluster than RedHat! Most people around this project don't believe in Gentoo
24 > (obviously because they have never done anything with Gentoo).
25 >
26 > Does anyone have really solid arguments/articles/proofs about the performance
27 > of Gentoo on clusters to help me convice the RedHat guys?
28 >
29 > Thanks
30 > Simon
33 gentoo-cluster@g.o mailing list