From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] High-Availability Howto for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:03:56
1 Brady Catherman wrote:
2 > nono.. we where running using distcc across our cluster (you could see
3 > the compile jobs running on all the different nodes.)
4 >
5 > Though I would not be surprised in the least if I configured something
6 > wrong.. Plus our Mac OS NFS Servers have been... flaky.. at best. So
7 > there might just be an issue in network file system performance.
8 >
9 > It appears that my experience with distcc is wrong =) Thats good to
10 > know.. next time I have to re-build a cluster I will make sure to give
11 > it another go and see if I can make it perform better =)
12
13 It's most useful on 100Mbit+ low-latency networks, and most apps will
14 not parallelize beyond about -j4 anyhow, because there just isn't enough
15 non-dependent stuff to build.
16
17 Personally, distcc is very useful for cross-compilation from a fast x86
18 development box to slow sparc/arm boxes.
19
20 Thanks,
21 Donnie