From: Daniel van Ham Colchete <daniel.colchete@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Remote administration of a server
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 20:28:57
1 On 5/14/07, Hanni Ali <hanni.ali@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I know what you mean, there is lot of hype around it and not much
4 > substance.
5 >
6 > Assuming my motherboard supports IPMI, do you know if I will be able to do
7 > > something like KVM-over-IP (or over ethernet) with this?
10 > It's not so much that it will allow you to KVM-over-IP but it should allow
11 > you to do a hardware reset should you have a system hang, essentially like
12 > pressing the reset button or power down. Which is useful if you get a Kernel
13 > Panic, and allows you to reset the machine. I had looked at it initial as
14 > the cost of managing hundreds of machines with KVN is as you mentioned
15 > expensive and when using PXE boot with all machines providing SSH KVM just
16 > seems excess to requirements...
17 >
18 > If you then keep a backup of stable images for network boot if you do have
19 > problems you can just roll-back to the working image. Hereby completely
20 > avoiding the KVM issue. That i what I hope to achieve with IPMI support.
21 >
22 > I have played around with it a fair bit and there a a few different
23 > implementations in the gentoo package database all slightly different.
24 >
25 > http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=ipmi
26 >
27 > I would be interested to hear anyone else's experiences with IPMI.
28 >
29 > Regards,
30 > Hanni
34 That's very interesting Hanni, I'll look into it. Thanks!
35
36 Daniel