From: Hanni Ali <hanni.ali@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Remote administration of a server
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 19:32:27
1 I know what you mean, there is lot of hype around it and not much substance.
2
3 Assuming my motherboard supports IPMI, do you know if I will be able to do
4 > something like KVM-over-IP (or over ethernet) with this?
7 It's not so much that it will allow you to KVM-over-IP but it should allow
8 you to do a hardware reset should you have a system hang, essentially like
9 pressing the reset button or power down. Which is useful if you get a Kernel
10 Panic, and allows you to reset the machine. I had looked at it initial as
11 the cost of managing hundreds of machines with KVN is as you mentioned
12 expensive and when using PXE boot with all machines providing SSH KVM just
13 seems excess to requirements...
14
15 If you then keep a backup of stable images for network boot if you do have
16 problems you can just roll-back to the working image. Hereby completely
17 avoiding the KVM issue. That i what I hope to achieve with IPMI support.
18
19 I have played around with it a fair bit and there a a few different
20 implementations in the gentoo package database all slightly different.
21
22 http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=ipmi
23
24 I would be interested to hear anyone else's experiences with IPMI.
25
26 Regards,
27
28 Hanni