From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Tips for multilib compiles for 64-bit head node
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 19:17:58
1 Andrew D. Fant wrote:
2 > Afternoon all,
3 > After some amount of wrangling, I have been given a new head node for our
4 > cluster of 32-bit xeons. It's one of the new multicore EMT64 Intel systems, and
5 > part of the reason I got to have it is that we have some users who need to run
6 > large-memory processes. Hence, I will need to compile it for 64 bits. There are
7 > some 32 bit applications I will need to run there as well to support our extant
8 > cluster, which leads to my question.
9 > Does anyone have any tips about configuring and building the amd64
10 > environment with multilib/32 bit support? The FAQ makes it sound like it's
11 > mostly taken care of within various ebuilds, which is fine when everything is in
12 > portage, but there's enough commercial code we have been running that I want to
13 > get this nailed down early.
14
15 So, the basic idea is that lib64 is used for 64-bit code and lib32 for
16 32-bit code. I think right now, lib symlinks to lib64, but I wouldn't
17 install anything directly to lib unless it's architecture-independent.
18 Ensure that your stuff installs to the proper locations and you should
19 be fine.
20
21 There are a bunch of packages in app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-* to
22 provide 32-bit versions of stuff because portage doesn't properly
23 support installing the same ebuild twice, once for 32-bit ABI and once
24 for 64-bit ABI.
25
26 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-amd64-faq.xml will probably answer
27 many of your questions.